Can the bad 1000A breaker be eliminated?

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
Electric Utility Reliability Coordinator
The facility has a fusible safety switch outside the building mounted on the wall. Those 1000 amp fuses serve a panel in the building with a 1000 amp breaker. The trip unit is 1000A LSG. The contacts inside the breaker have burned up. The contacts were cleaned up a little and the three phase service was restored.
The company is in a time crunch for delivery of a replacement breaker. If the 1000 amp fuses serve as the main, why is the 1000 amp breaker required?
Can the panel be converted to lugs only and eliminate the breaker? I have not been to the location. I was asked to help locate the replacement breaker. Are the breaker contacts replaceable? The housing does not appear to be damaged.

Attachments

• contacts.jpg
    contacts.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 13

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What is the voltage? 480Y/277V systems require Ground Fault protection, does you visible switch provide this?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What is the voltage? 480Y/277V systems require Ground Fault protection, does you visible switch provide this?
First thing that came to mind for me too. Basic fused disconnects don't have a way to be shunt tripped by a ground fault relay. Bolted pressure switches do, but my guess is that the somewhat redundant MCCB with the LSG trip unit was less expensive.
Next question would be, what the heck did that to the contacts, without clearing the fuses?

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
Probably 480V considering the size of the building and I was told they have a dry type xfmr inside.
The safety switch offers no ground fault protection.
I thought the gf rule started at 1200A.

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
First thing that came to mind for me too. Basic fused disconnects don't have a way to be shunt tripped by a ground fault relay. Bolted pressure switches do, but my guess is that the somewhat redundant MCCB with the LSG trip unit was less expensive.
Next question would be, what the heck did that to the contacts, without clearing the fuses?
The tenants smelled something and eventually pulled the cover of the breaker to reveal the contact. I doubt anyone had thermal. I see similar bad connections but they usually get to the fire stage or cross phase.