Can we pull medium voltage cable through to elimiate cable splices in manhole

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

We have a project that two new manholes will be located at each side of building. The distance between the two manholes (say manhole 1 and manhole 2) is more than 600 feet. In order to make sure we can pull medium voltage cables through, we added one more manhole (manhole 3) in between, which is inside building. Can we set up two pulling machines at manhole 2 and manhole 3 to pull the medium voltage cables through from manhole 1 to manhole 2? If we can, what specific tools or method we need at manhole 3? Thank you for your help.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When I have pulled though multiple manholes, we only use one tugger and the end of the run. Often sheaves are required for change of direction within a manhole, or where the ducts are not directly in line with each other. You have to do the pulling calculations to many sure you are not exceeding the maximum permitted pulling tension and the maximum sidewall pressure.

Jberg73

After you do your calculations if you don't have the right tugger, many supply houses will rent you the right one. I would think renting a bigger tugger would be cheaper than adding another manhole. But I've been wrong before. :)

Jason

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We have a project that two new manholes will be located at each side of building. The distance between the two manholes (say manhole 1 and manhole 2) is more than 600 feet. In order to make sure we can pull medium voltage cables through, we added one more manhole (manhole 3) in between, which is inside building. Can we set up two pulling machines at manhole 2 and manhole 3 to pull the medium voltage cables through from manhole 1 to manhole 2? If we can, what specific tools or method we need at manhole 3? Thank you for your help.

lose the middle manhole. use a sheave to guide in the cable to the first vault.
pull it with a tugger. it's all in the rigging.

the last long pulls i had were parallel 500mcm in 4" conduit, and were about
700' long. they went thru a vault in the middle, unbroken. i needed the
manhole for distribution of other pulls in the same duct bank.

i pulled them with a 2,000 lb maxxis tugger, with a set of triggers for control.
had a guy watching the feed end, he didn't need to touch anything.
the stuff just came off the reels self feeding.

strain gauge never exceeded 1,000 lbs. pulled them dry, as they were 600 volt
cables, and the insulation was simpull. no lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.