Can you put LED lights on a dimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
As far as i know most of the time it has to be an electronic dimmer.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I know you cant use a dimmer with CFL's but what about LED bulbs?

Some CFL and LED can be dimmed. One problem has been that just because the label says dimmable, it may not be or it may only with a specific make and model dimmer. Lutron has done alot of homework along these lines and publishes a compatabilty database based on their research and testing. Using Lutron dimmers with lamps/fixtures that they approve is the only reliable way IMO at this point in time as this is an evolving situation and there are no standards.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Probably best to use driver with dimming capabilities
Best to use compatabl components.
Lutron makes some Diva dimmers that have a trim adjustment , are made for either LED or CFL. The price has come down to close to a regulare Diva.
I like them.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes you can but you need to use a LED/CFL DIMMER SWITCH AND make sure the lamps you are using whatever type are the dimmable type.:thumbsup:

Your link makes my point. If you look at the details, it does not say use a dimmable lamp, it says to use very specific lamps. This little detail is important as just because the lamp package says dimmable, it may not be dimmable in a way that a customer would accept it. This is like the wild west-there are no standards or absolutes here. The industry is littered with failed lighting/dimmer projects where the combination of the dimmer and lamp/light source were not carefully chosen.

storeytime

I don't know how this relates to consumer bulbs but in Christmas lighting where we use computer programed synchronization, you have to make sure the LED is full wave.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So an LED lamp that is listed as dimmable will not work on any existing dimmer switch? If that's the case, there is going to be a lot of trouble coming up as the average Joe has no idea this is an issue. So what is the consequense if a dimmable LED lamp is used in conjunction with a dimmer switch that is not specifically listed for LED's?

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Some of the newest LED's are getting smarter. They have a built-in micro-processor that understands what an old dimmer is trying to do. High efficiency lighting technology is a rapidly developing field.

sgunsel

I just picked up a 40w equivalent LED lamp at Home Depot a couple of days ago - advertised as "dimmable". I brought it home and tied it out - it did dim pretty well on my ancient dimmer, although not quite as far down as the incandescent would go. All in all it seemed pretty good, except the light had more directivity (mostly away from the base) than an incandescent or CFL. At $10 a pop, probably not very cost competitive, unless you need the dimming and the light directivity is acceptable. Also might not be too good where the lamp is exposed as it does look a bit odd - like the end of a standard incandescent light bulb sitting in a white plastic cone.

Status
Not open for further replies.