Can you strip romex and use changeover with small length of conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gametime

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Local inspector failed job because I striped Romex and changed over to flexible nonmetallic conduit for a few feet to an AC Disconnect. He stated the insulation value of romex can never be installed in conduit or flexible conduit. My question was to him “that means every electrician that puts a plug on a concrete wall of a basement with a change over connector and a 4’ piece of emt to a mulbury is in violation and he said yes. That would mean every change over connection is against code, find that hard to believe. Thanks in advance for your opinion....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The conductors in the NM do not have any markings and other than at the point of terminations, cannot be used without the outer jacket.

Local inspector failed job because I striped Romex and changed over to flexible nonmetallic conduit for a few feet to an AC Disconnect. He stated the insulation value of romex can never be installed in conduit or flexible conduit. My question was to him “that means every electrician that puts a plug on a concrete wall of a basement with a change over connector and a 4’ piece of emt to a mulbury is in violation and he said yes. That would mean every change over connection is against code, find that hard to believe. Thanks in advance for your opinion....
You are both wrong on some things. Here is the deal (some of this has been stated by others, bit just summarizing:

1. NM Inners are not marked as required and we don't even know what they are, so you cant use them as single conductors. Yes we have to strip it in panelboards and in boxes to terminate, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

2. NM cannot be used in damp locations and an exterior raceway is a damp location. You didn't specifically say this was outside but I am assuming it is.

3. NM CAN be used in an exterior box. The restriction in #2 is for raceways.

4. NM can be installed in conduit in dry locations as long as fill is met.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The bold is flat out incorrect. As Jusme stated conduit is permitted to be used for the protection of NM cable.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The bold is flat out incorrect. As Jusme stated conduit is permitted to be used for the protection of NM cable.

Ok, lets clarify this again.

You CANNOT strip NM and run the conductors through conduit. Period.

... that means every electrician that puts a [receptacle] on a concrete wall of a basement with a change over connector and a 4’ piece of emt to a mulbury is in violation and he said yes.

You can SLEEVE NM with conduit as long as it isn't a damp or wet location. With reference to the above quote: If you ran your NM through the "change over" connector down the conduit to the box WITHOUT STRIPPING IT until you got to the box it would comply.

Matter of fact most of us don't even use a squeeze connector (what you refer to as a changeover connector at the top.) We just slide the NM through the EMT and butt it against the NM connector at the top of the box.

-Hal

Last edited:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I think the inspector should have cited 310.8
I'll add that I have seen older 'snake skin' romex that has the required markings and has '600V TW' printed on the conductors or something like that

plug on a concrete wall of a basement with a change over connector and a 4’ piece of emt to a mulbury
mulbury is not a term I have herd before is that a 4S box?

retirede

I think the inspector should have cited 310.8
I'll add that I have seen older 'snake skin' romex that has the required markings and has '600V TW' printed on the conductors or something like that

mulbury is not a term I have herd before is that a 4S box?

Mulberry is a manufacturer of various metal boxes, covers and conduit bodies.
He’s probably referring to what many call a “bell box.”

Hoodood

Occupation
Electrical foreman
I had an inspector site me for the same thing. He stated that the ground wire needs insulation inside a conduit & that stripping sheathing off leaves a bare ground wire. We had to jbox and run an insulated ground wire then he passed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.