Can't touch this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Downstream panel - cable at the top right of the panel has the bare grounding conductor traveling over to the left side terminal bar. However, in the course of its travel, the conductor comes in contact with the grounded conductor terminal bar (see photos).

This seems to me a defect because these terminals bars must be separate - I'm just looking for some support for this opinion.

Thanks.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/TonyPE/IMGP5309.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/TonyPE/IMGP5305_edited-1.jpg

mxslick

Wouldn't call it a defect, but just sloppy installation of that cable coming in on the right.

attachment.php

Is this a subpanel? "Downstream" could be open to interpretation. If a subpanel, def a violation since grounded and grounding are to be separate in a subpanel.
From the other photo looks like a main panel in a residence, in which case I also see that the bonding jumper is not tied into the neutral buss.

Any way to dress that conductor away from the lug?

Last edited:

hardworkingstiff

Since the means to bond the panel to the neutral is not connected, then I would say you have a violation. The bonding means not being connected or the having a ground wire touching the neutral bar when it shouldn't be, but you do have at least one.

paul

After reading the title all I can think of is;

Break it down! Stop, Hammer time!
Can't touch this
Can't touch this
Can't touch this

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can't tell wire sizes but it looks like a violation of 312.6(A) also.
Best idea would to relocate that cable.

Jim W in Tampa

Picture not great but if you have any grounding wire on that neutral then is violation. As far as that green screw i hope it is NOT connected to that neutral bus bar. Being it a ML panel and far over 6 throws it better be a sub panel. Cable entering on side like that is flat crazy and likely violated bending radius

dmagyar

Doesn't look like they knew what they were doing

Doesn't look like they knew what they were doing

In the picture along with the questionable location of the sub panel feeder, attributable to what? carelessness? I also see several "blue smurf" (Flexible non metallic conduit) connectors with multiple romex's going through them; that doesn't look right. Then there's the nail on box below and to the left that then has to be held on with nails or screws inside the box, that should be a 4"square with a industrial raised cover for the duplex. What's the lamp cord doing on the right? I hope it's not holding up the feeder cable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that bare conductor connecting the ground bar at the left to the neutral bar on the right? If so just remove it.

480sparky

......... I also see several "blue smurf" (Flexible non metallic conduit) connectors with multiple romex's going through them; that doesn't look right...........

Those aren't smurf tubes. They're plastic connectors. Some are blue, some are gray.

C_Non-Metallic_Cable_Connectors.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.