Car wash vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have car wash facility and vacuums are installed for public use on pedestal outside. Plans show each vacuum pedestal have outlet GFCI fed from panelboard. So I have 8 vacuums and 8 of the outlets GFCI weather proof covers are fed from one 20A circuit. The vacuum are then on pedestal next to outlet cord and plug connected.

Question do car wash vacuum similar to one see on gas station for cleaning car typically come cord and plug connected or are they direct hard wired?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The central vac in my house draws about 15 amps. Obviously there is an error in the OPs case. But the real question is, who puts 8 individual self contained vacs in a commercial car wash? This would normally be a central vac.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The central vac in my house draws about 15 amps. Obviously there is an error in the OPs case. But the real question is, who puts 8 individual self contained vacs in a commercial car wash? This would normally be a central vac.

We do have car washes here that also have self service bays, though I have never seen as many as eight.

-Hal

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok after speaking with engineer plans now show I have 16 stations and 4 central vacuums each serve 4 stations. Vacuum Shown below link:

Each vacuum power is fed from 120V contactor from car wash controller thru overload relay I assume. Car wash controller shown below link:

Question if 120VAC single phase is fed from contactor from car wash controller to vacuum should it not require branch circuit breaker overcurrent protection by code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Ok after speaking with engineer plans now show I have 16 stations and 4 central vacuums each serve 4 stations. Vacuum Shown below link:

Each vacuum power is fed from 120V contactor from car wash controller thru overload relay I assume. Car wash controller shown below link:

Question if 120VAC single phase is fed from contactor from car wash controller to vacuum should it not require branch circuit breaker overcurrent protection by code?

My guess, "car wash controller" is tied to something that processes payment, probably controls wash stations as well as vacuum stations and your vacuum stations are nothing more to it than an accessory item and that is why limited control power is sent from there to a contactor that could control a 1/8 hp load or a 100 hp load - either way all it needs is to send enough of a signal when payment arrangements are met to pull in a control relay and the accessory item is otherwise powered from another circuit.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I've done a few car washes and I've never installed GFI receptacles where the Vacuums would plug in.

They were all hard wired.

Not sure why any car wash owner would resort to a cord and plug connected pedestal mount vacuum in the first place.

JAP>

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I've done a few car washes and I've never installed GFI receptacles where the Vacuums would plug in.

They were all hard wired.

Not sure why any car wash owner would resort to a cord and plug connected pedestal mount vacuum in the first place.

JAP>

Is it in code anywhere?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not saying that I've not installed GFI outlets where a vacuum cleaner would plug in if required.

I'm saying its uncommon to see a commercial type vacuum cleaner at a public car wash that would be cord and plug connected.

Every one I've wired or have seen have hard wired vacuum systems.

To me a GFI Protected outlet feeding a cord and plug connected vacuum at a public car wash would lead to a nightmare of service calls.

JAP>

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I'm not saying that I've not installed GFI outlets where a vacuum cleaner would plug in if required.

I'm saying its uncommon to see a commercial type vacuum cleaner at a public car wash that would be cord and plug connected.

Every one I've wired or have seen have hard wired vacuum systems.

To me a GFI Protected outlet feeding a cord and plug connected vacuum at a public car wash would lead to a nightmare of service calls.

JAP>
Ok but plans say cord and plug connected and GFCI outlet weather proof where vacuums are. If the engineer decides to design it with cord and plug connected and GFCI weather proof outlet where in code it says it cannot be done or GFCI outlet weather proof not allowed for vacuum only direct connect?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok but plans say cord and plug connected and GFCI outlet weather proof where vacuums are. If the engineer decides to design it with cord and plug connected and GFCI weather proof outlet where in code it says it cannot be done or GFCI outlet weather proof not allowed for vacuum only direct connect?

If the engineer wants cord an plug connected and a manufacturer will supply that way then so be it. It has been pointed out that there is no NEC provision prohibiting it.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Is it in code anywhere?

Only thing that would prohibit cord and plug connection would be listing information on the appliance and not a direct code reference.

If you have receptacle outdoors (and even if a 240 volt receptacle in 2017 or 2020 code) GFCI protection will be required for that receptacle because of 210.8 and it's location and not because of what is being supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.