Card Access Controllers/Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I could use some guidance here.

We have a customer who requested that we install a card access door control system at one of the buildings he manages. On the reccomendation of one of our salesmen who had experience with the product, we went with products from IEI. One of the key required features was remote dial-in so that we could make changes to the system and remotely add/delete cards. New cards would be set up at our office and FedEx'd to the customers site for his tenants.

Well, it's been quite the learning experience for us. The vendor's installation literature admits there are known issues with remote access. We went through hoops to get the customer to install a couple of POTS lines and badgered tech support mercilessly, all to no avail.

The kicker is that this customer has about 20 other sites he wants us to set up. I will NOT be using IEI for the remaining sites. In fact, we're considering ripping out the one we have. What has worked well in your experience? Even more important, what else out there do you consider to be trash? We'll be looking at controlling between 2 and 8 doors per site. Reliable remote access is a must. I'm sure we'll need something that works reliably on VoIP or fiber. Northern Computer has been mentioned as a potential vendor. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

dbuckley

New Zealand is a funny country; amongst our sheep and beef and cows and mediocre industries we have a number of high-tech firms who are as good as anyone on the planet, and better than most, and one of those companies is Gallagher Security, who make the Cardax card access systems.

As an installed system it is really good, is absolutely reliable, and has all the features you might want, and many more.

Although I've personally never used it that way, their system supports operating in a dial-up environment, whereby the central controlling PC can call up the building controller to put in configuration changes, and if something happens at the building that you've told the system you want to know about then the outbuilding will dial the central controller and alert it.

If any of the buildings happen to have broadband then it can use that as well.

Neat features include that it can integrate into other building elements, such as alarm systems, so you can enable or disable an alarm (or just a zone of an alarm) via the entry system.

Uses contactless card technology, just wave your card near the reader. Can also have a PIN pad if more security is needed.

Gallagher North America, Inc
130 West 23rd Avenue
North Kansas City, MO 64116
United States of America
Phone +1 407 302 4055
Fax +1 407 302 4955
Email salesusa@cardax.com

http://www.cardax.com

No connection other than a satisfied user.

MAK

I am not surprised that you had trouble with IEI. Their systems were suspect to begin with but since they were bought out their tech support has been terrible with the IEI products (hubmax etc...).:roll:

Is it only dial up that they are looking for or could it be a network connection?
I would try using a browser based system for network infrastructure.

S2 is a really solid system and their base system is available to any vendor. You do not have to be a dealer leading with their product to buy it. Their tech support I am not sold on yet because when you call them and don't get them on the first round thru it forces you to leave a message. I do not particularly care for that type of tech support.

You could also try Schlage (Ingersol Rand) Bright Blue system. http://w3.securitytechnologies.com/Products/brightblue/Pages/Index.aspx It is also browser based. Very simple to use and available to anyone to purchase.
I am not a fan of it as much because all it can do is open doors. There is no
input to output linking. But other than that it is so simple a cave man can do it.

DSX is a rock solid system and easy to learn but it is software based, it is an access database and you have to be a dealer to use their product. http://www.dsxinc.com/ They have dial up modem configurations for your site and they can handle a ton of card formats so it makes them a little more attractive to use especially if you have multiple existing card formats. All of their controllers are compatible with each other (new and legacy stuff) and their tech support is legendary.:cool:

If you could get a network connection for your controller it will open up your choices as to what systems you could install.

nhfire77

Try keyscan or Kantech. Both have dial up modems. Also they have IP modules.

Something to consider: Using a RS-485 bus converter to attach the access system to a local customer owned PC. Then use windows remote desktop connection to get into it. You can limit access to the local Computer, then you can leave 10 or so cards with the customer. You label the cards. Now, when they have the need for a new card, you remote into their computer and activate it, email the customer, and tell them use card number x.

This would work over IP, and be easier. This keeps a new card available to the customer same day. Just sell them cards in blocks of ten.

The biggest thing will be shutting of a card at a moments notice when they cam someone.

gadfly56

Occupation
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and observations to date. I'll be checking out the vendors you passed along.

We considered leaving cards, but the managing company doesn't have a permanent presence, and it's a mult-tenant building. The managing company is footing the bill for the cards. I don't think they want to front 10 cards to 3 or 4 tenants, even if there is a pass through.

Same issues for IP access. I don't think the managing company has their own cable or fiber modem on site. If I tap a tenant's connection and they move on and don't tell me, then what?

nhfire77

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and observations to date. I'll be checking out the vendors you passed along.

We considered leaving cards, but the managing company doesn't have a permanent presence, and it's a mult-tenant building. The managing company is footing the bill for the cards. I don't think they want to front 10 cards to 3 or 4 tenants, even if there is a pass through.

Same issues for IP access. I don't think the managing company has their own cable or fiber modem on site. If I tap a tenant's connection and they move on and don't tell me, then what?

Small desktop with a wireless cell modem card for access, and yea I guess you cant leave cards.

Or tell management the only way its gonna work is the internet. Have them a cable modem installed. I think this is the best solution, they will eventually need to monitor other systems via the internet. They could get a DSL line with a DSL modem. That would be cheap.

gadfly56

Occupation
Update

Update

Well, I thought I'd let you know the current status. We decided to go with KeyScan as our supplier. I got smart this time and we set up all the equipment in the shop before we went into the field, with my IT guy doing the setup. There were some issues with modem setup strings but we got everything checked out. Yesterday we sent the tech down to rip out the IEI junk and install the KeyScan product. There was some back-and-forth with jumper settings, but everything worked out. Modem access is fast, with basically real time status of the doors being reported back to the main office. IEI would take 45 minutes to complete an update, assuming it connected at all. So far we really like the product and plan to make it our standard offering from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.