Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I am hoping I can enlist the advice of the brain trust here about a career change...

I am a 35 year old radio broadcast engineer who is getting ready to start over (new locatio / new career).

In this business, the term Eningeer is used loosely - many, including myself, don't have an engineering degree. However, I have had an interest and aptitude from a very young age (don't ask my Dad how much stuff I blew up in the basement while getting an 'education'!)

The radio business is souring, and it's becomming brutal for the enginneers (too few + no capital money = 1 guy per 10 stations + no sleep or life).

I'd love to start over as a commercial electrician. I think I'd love the job, and would get some balance back in life.

I'm told by some that I should have no problem. I'm told by others that I'm way too old to start and would have trouble being 'let in' to the trade.

I'm just looking to work hard and do a good job at something I think I'd like, then go home and enjoy life a little.

By the way, the target destination for 'Phase II" of life is Wilminton, NC. I'm currently in upstate New York (Syracuse).

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

Tim

redfish

Re: Career Advice

Sometimes commercial work is pretty demanding, but at thirty-five you are still a youngster. It seems to me that you have already started making the right decesions since you chose the electrical trade. Good luck. :)

allenwayne

Only you can decide if you are ready to make that change and climb that ladderIf you have the head and the stomach to do the dirty work the NEW GUY gets then go for it.It won`t take long to know if you`ll suceed or fail.
When I started it was 3 years apprentice 2 years mechanic and 5 years journey man.But that was well that was when hippies ran amok :D it is up to you if you can make that change and climb that ladder.I have seen guys go from apprentice to journeymen in a few years,running jobs gettting paid ;) Set your goals and try it whats the worst that can happen (back to radio

charlie

I know that this doesn't really fit but my wife had a masters in education and taught school for 15 years. After getting burned out, she went back to school to get a masters in social work and, after a few years, ended up in private practice until her retirement.

All I am saying is that people are changing professions all the time and are successful after doing the change. The previous skills will help you in the new directions even if you don't even think they are related.

Good luck with your future endeavors. :D

friebel

Good morning Tim Backer, I am an instructor at a local Community College, in Newark, Delaware, and I would like to pass my opinion on too you changing careers.
Tim, it is all about "Attitude", and I think the one important item is, can you handle the change financially. Because you are going to start out at the bottom of the pay-scale.
If you can do that, then I say, Tim, go for it.
What I would suggest is the following: I would get a job with a local electrical contractor for your hands-on experience, and also enroll into a local community college for your basic electrical technical training.
Again Tim, I use my famous word "Attitude", if you have that, you can do it.
You may ask, how long is this going to take me before I could become a first-class electrician, and I would answer, it is just like an apprenticeship, it will take about four to five years, and I will also suggest if you are able to enroll with a company and take an electrical apprenticeship, then I would go for it. I have had men in their 40's start out with an electrical apprenticeship.
Tim, I would also suggest, if you decide to go this route, then shoot for your electrical license down the road.
If you would like to contact me, and discuss any matter, please do so with a private message, and I can give you my phone number, etc.
Tim, God Bless, and Good Luck with what ever you decide.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out!

It's gone a long way toward finializing my decision.

I was 15 when I got the bug to be in radio. It came natural to me that I needed to hang out at the station in the area and just watch - and annoy the guys with a lot of questions!

It's rare these days to work along side colleagues in this biz, but it's one of the things that I've always liked the most - comparing notes and learning.

I've been active on the national radio engineering forum as another great place to learn and exchange, and this forum seems like a very natural "parallel universe".

That, along with google and trade subscriptions, pretty much helps me to keep on the curve.

I'm prepared for the initial pay - I have a friend in Wilmington who will likely go halves with me on a place to live. I've gotten pretty good plugging the leaks in my wallet! ;)

Thanks again and I hope to become more active here on the forum after the big move this fall.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.