Career Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbabn7

Occupation
Electrician
Good Evening:
I am trying to brain storm career paths. I have been working in the Electrical Industry for 11 years and recently passed a test for a city job that would pay my undergraduate degree. Does any one have any ideas of fields of study that would be linked with the electrical industry (Not electrical Engineering). I am really fascinated with this trade, and aIl I want is to expand my knowledge and see where that takes me. Currently, I have been studying on my own to take the test for my Electrical License. However with this new job, different opportunities have appeared.

Thanks in advanced for any input.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Currently, I have been studying on my own to take the test for my Electrical License.
Any livelihood not inherited or franchised requires some school of hard knocks. Here are a few specifics to licensed contracting.

If not being mentored thru an engineering degree, as a contractor you dive into uncertain economic war zones, or witness shops struggle to reduce bad moves before going it alone.

While the desire of trade licensing can lead to self-employment that path is empirically launched from prior employers, which attaches liability to them when using their equipment for your side jobs after hours.

Getting booted into bidding jobs on your own can lead right into the welcome arms of indemnified GC or RMO exploit, forcing your liability for their willful negligence & labor practices against your license.

Young people have more time to learn their lessons, with booms & busts, and endure the loses, especially while living with their parents.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Some indirectly related studies would include business, project management. I would believe that any electrically related course would fall in the lines of engineering or engineering technology degrees.
Since you're in the city, maybe studies in computer science and networking could eventually work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.