carry a Masters and Journeyman license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can't imagine why you would want both. We don't have that system here so I may not be the best one to answer that question.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here, they apparently keep each you qualify for:
Name
FINE, LARRY BRUCE
License Number
License Description
Tradesman
Rank
Tradesman
Address
HENRICO, VA 23238-3689
Specialties
Journeyman Electrician (JELE)
Master Electrician (MELE)
Initial Certification Date
1996-08-26
Expiration Date
2020-08-31

kwired

Electron manager
Most likely depends on where you are licensed and what the rules are there.

Many places if you achieve a "higher license" it allows you to do anything the "lower license" allowed you to do and there is no need to have both.

I have a contractor license, but if I wanted to go to work for someone in a journeyman position my contractor license is valid for that purpose.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a contractor license, but if I wanted to go to work for someone in a journeyman position my contractor license is valid for that purpose.
Here, the contractor's license is granted only to a business entity, while the electrician's licenses are granted only to individuals. A contracting business must have the former and employ the latter.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have kept my Journeymans license for years even though I have a Masters license. Is there any good reason to keep doing this?

depends on the state you are licensed in, and their rules.

i have maintained both. in california, a contractors license
does not take the place of a journeyman's license.

a C-10 cannot work for another C-10 without a journeyman
license.

kwired

Electron manager
Here, the contractor's license is granted only to a business entity, while the electrician's licenses are granted only to individuals. A contracting business must have the former and employ the latter.
So if you wanted to get a journeyman position job, do you need to apply for a journeyman license? If you do that do you either need to forfeit your contractor license or at least maintain two licenses should you ever want to do contracting again?

Seems a little like a military man holding ranks of a Major and a Colonel at the same time, Uncle Sam is only going to pay him one rate, so the Major title serves little purpose even if his primary job is a job normally performed by a Major or even if he does some tasks that typically are only done by privates.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So if you wanted to get a journeyman position job, do you need to apply for a journeyman license? If you do that do you either need to forfeit your contractor license or at least maintain two licenses should you ever want to do contracting again?
One has nothing to do with the other. A master continues to qualify as a journeyman, because being a journeyman is a stepping stone to becoming a master, but you don't lose the journeyman qualification when becoming a master. My license still shows both.

The business must obtain a contractor license to do business as a contractor, and must employ a master in the specialty trade(s) they wish to perform. The contractor license stays active unless allowed to lapse, but need not be forfeited for the master to work elsewhere.

However, the contractor business may not perform in the specialty trade unless there is still a master employed. My business is licensed for home and commercial improvement contracting also, which do not require employing masters unless performing those specialties.

Seems a little like a military man holding ranks of a Major and a Colonel at the same time, Uncle Sam is only going to pay him one rate, so the Major title serves little purpose even if his primary job is a job normally performed by a Major or even if he does some tasks that typically are only done by privates.
Not quite the same, because a colonel can do anything a major can (RHIP), but remains responsible for his assignment (RHIO). A master electrician is not required to do electrical work, but is required to be so licensed if he wishes to lead jobs that a journeyman may not.

I can perform as a journeyman if I wish to avoid the responsibilities a master must bear, as long as I m willing to accept journeyman's pay.

tkb

In MA and RI, you can’t run a business and work with the tools unless you carry both licenses.

In MA you can run a business with just a journeyman’s license and one apprentice but not another journeyman unless you have a master license.

ME drops your journeyman license when they issue a master license.

kwired

Electron manager
One has nothing to do with the other. A master continues to qualify as a journeyman, because being a journeyman is a stepping stone to becoming a master, but you don't lose the journeyman qualification when becoming a master. My license still shows both.

The business must obtain a contractor license to do business as a contractor, and must employ a master in the specialty trade(s) they wish to perform. The contractor license stays active unless allowed to lapse, but need not be forfeited for the master to work elsewhere.

However, the contractor business may not perform in the specialty trade unless there is still a master employed. My business is licensed for home and commercial improvement contracting also, which do not require employing masters unless performing those specialties.

Not quite the same, because a colonel can do anything a major can (RHIP), but remains responsible for his assignment (RHIO). A master electrician is not required to do electrical work, but is required to be so licensed if he wishes to lead jobs that a journeyman may not.

I can perform as a journeyman if I wish to avoid the responsibilities a master must bear, as long as I m willing to accept journeyman's pay.
Bold face answered my question. You still have one license, it just shows both qualifications in some way.

Here there is journeymen and there is contractor licenses. Used to be "master" but they got rid of them some time ago and only those that held one at that time and kept renewing are the only ones that hold that license today. They did have residential only licenses at one time and did away with those as well, but I think more recently they started issuing some residential only licenses again.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
a C-10 cannot work for another C-10 without a journeyman
license.
Yes, C10 Masters must direct hire JW Cards, or apprentices in training, when on their payroll.

However, In order to prevent Worker's Comp. fraud, no contractor can pay any helper, without WC Insurance. Doing so is cause to void property insurance claims, just like license & Fire code violations. Lots of Bad apples subject clients to this WC liability. They are rolling the dice.

General Contractor laborers, independent contractors, or property owner Maintainence persons can also help C10's, if from someone else's payroll. I make these arrangements with T&M jobs, by selling the incentive to reduce estimated hours with the owners help.

This protects everyone's best interest, and gets everyone envolved in solving unforseen complications.

lordofthisworld

I have kept my Journeymans license for years even though I have a Masters license. Is there any good reason to keep doing this?

It depends what the rules/laws are in the state you are from. I want to say in Mass if u get rid of your journeyman, u cant with your tools anymore. In Mass you can have a legit business with just having a journeyman and have just 1 apprentice but in NH you cant have a legit business since u need a master license to pull a permit.

jeremysterling

The only justification I could see to keep both is that it seems more likely other states might reciprocate the Texas Unrestricted Journeyman License but may not reciprocate the Texas Master.

Since I do not plan on working outside of Texas, I let my UJM expire and renew only my Master License.

kwired

Electron manager
The only justification I could see to keep both is that it seems more likely other states might reciprocate the Texas Unrestricted Journeyman License but may not reciprocate the Texas Master.

Since I do not plan on working outside of Texas, I let my UJM expire and renew only my Master License.
They still might reciprocate a master/contractor as a journeyman, they just won't directly reciprocate master to master.

Status
Not open for further replies.