Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some do.
Some are standalone.
Some are wireless (Wi-Fi).
Some networked systems use Ethernet (CAT 5 or 6 or fiber), others use proprietary communication links.

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

Most cash registers are standalone, however many businesses are switching to touchscreen POS terminals.

Also keep in mind that most businesses will have a credit card terminal colocated with the cash register. These usually require a phone line, however most units also accept an ethernet cable, which can be used to connect to broadband internet. This results in much faster processing.

If possible I'll run both (two CAT5) so the credit card machine can fail over to dialup if the internet goes down.

iwire

Staff member
Most cash registers are standalone, however many businesses are switching to touchscreen POS terminals.

My experience is the opposite. :)

Every register I have done, and I have done tons of them, takes a data line of some type. Mom and pop stores may have stand alone but any chain type retail will be tied into a network. This is for pricing updates, sale pricing, inventory control etc.

Also keep in mind that most businesses will have a credit card terminal colocated with the cash register. These usually require a phone line, however most units also accept an ethernet cable, which can be used to connect to broadband internet. This results in much faster processing.

If possible I'll run both (two CAT5) so the credit card machine can fail over to dialup if the internet goes down.

I have never brought a phone line to a credit / debit card reader, they have always tied into the register equipment or been a cat 5 back to the data switch.

So as far as the OP the only way to find out what you need is to ask the people supplying the equipment. We usually run 3 or 4 cat 5e cables to each point of sale and they use 2 of them leaving the rest as spares.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Could someone explain why a coax cable would be requested to be installed instead of a cat 6?

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
I'm going to find out for sure tomorrow but...
Customer said Verizon wants plenum rates coax cable ran. Then they will be mounting thier modem in theIT room.??

I ordered cat 6 plenum rated cable. Planed on bringing it to the IT room. Have a RJ 46 plate at the register location.

Not that similar with telecommunications.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The original cable connected IBM sales/ business terminals used twinax instead of coax and ran an IBM proprietary synchronous communication protocol. Other makers used other proprietary protocols over coax, before it became common to use IP.
Ethernet over coax (first fat and then thin) came long before twisted pair Ethernet.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Customer said Verizon wants plenum rates coax cable ran. Then they will be mounting thier modem in theIT room.??

I ordered cat 6 plenum rated cable. Planed on bringing it to the IT room. Have a RJ 46 plate at the register location.

well, their hardware is coax based, so that is what you pull....
i'd upsell the customer to add two cat 6 lines with each cable
you pull, so when they flush this bozo late 80's architecture, they
will have something for connectivity.

jesus... this sounds like 16 MHZ token ring from 1988......
maybe they can make it work with a 2400 baud modem as well....

masterinbama

The original cable connected IBM sales/ business terminals used twinax instead of coax and ran an IBM proprietary synchronous communication protocol. Other makers used other proprietary protocols over coax, before it became common to use IP.
Ethernet over coax (first fat and then thin) came long before twisted pair Ethernet.

K-Mart used that system it was a booger to troubleshoot.

Rowdy

A lot of smaller Chain stores will only have a couple registers that need to be networked. They will install the modem and a small switch under one register, and the setup team will just use patch cords within the counter.

my guess is that Verizon is asking for the coax so that they can install a cable modem. you may want to ask about a few cat 5e for voice.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Why is Verizon involved with POS or cash register installations??

Have a RJ 46 plate at the register location. Not that [fam]ilar with telecommunications.

I guess not. What the heck is a RJ46 and how would it support coax??

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.