cat 5 wire with zone sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

what is the voltage on a Cat5 computer net cable? I have a situation where we stubed up a conduit and a J box and run a 18-3 t/stat wire for a zone sensor for a HVAC system and then the network cable guy decided to run 2 cat5 wires down my conduit, i am having problems with the zone sensor not reading right should be about 1.5 volts @ 70 deg, could the cat 5 wire induce a higher voltage and cause me problems?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
what is the voltage on a Cat5 computer net cable? I have a situation where we stubed up a conduit and a J box and run a 18-3 t/stat wire for a zone sensor for a HVAC system and then the network cable guy decided to run 2 cat5 wires down my conduit, i am having problems with the zone sensor not reading right should be about 1.5 volts @ 70 deg, could the cat 5 wire induce a higher voltage and cause me problems?
Cat 5 wire should have no Effect on the Zone sensor. Induced currents could effect the data on the cat5. The Cat 5 is twisted which keeps the induced currents very very low, Did the wire get damaged in the pull????

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It's possible that when he pulled in his CAT5s he "burned" through the jacket and conductor insulation somewhere on your thermostat wire. Disconnect both ends and check the resistance between conductors and then each conductor to ground (the conduit). You should read infinity.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.