Cat 5e along drywall ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

colotom

I am adding 16 runs of Cat5e as part of an office remodel for a customer. Their telecom room is quite crowded with cable runs from a variety of sources along all four walls. The room is only 7' wide and I am thinking about supporting this Cat5 bundle along the ceiling to get to the punchdown blocks,. It's a drywall ceiling with wooden joists above. I can screw cable supports into a joist so as not to anchor directly to the drywall, if necessary. I cannot find any specific mention in the Code that prohibits this. Again, it's only a 7' span across the ceiling to the opposite wall.

Thanks
Tom

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, a sleeve would look a lot better. But my main concern is whether suspending it from the ceiling would present a code violation.

I don't see one in the NEC if it's a drywall ceiling but someone may come up with an obscure building code problem.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Nothing in the NEC addresses workmanship issues in the installation of low voltage cables. You can tape them up there with duct tape if you want. So there is nothing wrong with using hangers attached to the ceiling. That's what I would do. And they don't even have to hit the joists but where they don't I would use a suitable sheetrock anchor or toggle bolt.

It's a telecom room and only 7' wide. Why would you want to bother with a conduit sleeve?? Betcha cables in hangers will look better than the mess that's already there.

-Hal

colotom

Thanks all, for the input.. given the time crunch I was under, and that the room is crammed with electronics with barely enough space to turn around (It's a hotel with all the gear necessary to run it) i was reluctant to take a chance, I re-routrd the bundle up into the attic above it, and down the opposite wall. Good to know that it probably wouldn't have been a big deal, though...but yes, there's always that obscure code somewhere...

Tom

FlyFish

There are some specifications for installing. See the informational note which refers to ANSI/NECA/BICSI which could be considered code.

800.24 Mechanical Execution of Work. Communications
circuits and equipment shall be installed in a neat and
workmanlike manner. Cables installed exposed on the surface
of ceilings and sidewalls shall be supported by the
building structure in such a manner that the cable will not
be damaged by normal building use. Such cables shall be
secured by hardware, including straps, staples, cable ties,
hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not
to damage the cable. The installation shall also conform to
300.4(D) and 300.11. Nonmetallic cable ties and other nonmetallic
cable accessories used to secure and support cables
in other spaces used for environmental air (plenums) shall
be listed as having low smoke and heat release properties.

Informational Note No. 1: Accepted industry practices are
described in ANSI/NECA/BICSI 568-2006, Standard for
Installing Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling;
ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1-2004 — Part 1, General Requirements
Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling
Standard; ANSI/TIA-569-B-2004, Commercial Building
Standard for Telecommunications Pathways and Spaces;
ANSI/TIA-570-B, Residential Telecommunications Infrastructure,
and other ANSI-approved installation standards.

DrumFX

... and that the room is crammed with electronics with barely enough space to turn around (It's a hotel with all the gear necessary to run it) ...

Tom

Hotels and restaurants are notorious about having tiny closets for their technology, artical 110.26 does apply to low-voltage installations as well.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Hotels and restaurants are notorious about having tiny closets for their technology, artical 110.26 does apply to low-voltage installations as well.

That's debatable. And believe me, I've often wished for it. Can you reference any part of 725 or 800 on up that refers back to 110.26?

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.