Cat 6 Cable pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Usually use about 10 hour per thousand to pull on j-hooks and cable tray(lower if in full conduit). I have a unique audio visual situation where I'm pulling about 40 cables at once in about 30 different locations. Would you discount labor unit for pull 30 cables at once? Any feedback as to what others pull this in at would be helpful. Thanks.

JFletcher

I have pulled that many cables free and thru conduit to not as many locations. Setting up that many boxes/reels takes time, as does rigging the lead for offset distance pulls.

For those that havent done it, use as much Clear Glide as you have on hand, and then some. Trying to pull an extra 10' on 3 cables in a bundle of 20+ w/o lube is a giant pita. You absolutely need at least 2 people for this, and radios/cell-phones as walkie-talkies.

Just because you have 40 catx/coax cables doesnt mean you can put a tugger on it or overpull. Typically, the lead attached to the string would be cut off and thrown away, because even with all the K-wire (lube) in the world, you will exceed 25lbs pull force, which is against TDMM recommendations and all mfg warranty that I'm aware of. Failing a certification on free-pulled (not in conduit) wire is the biggest pita in the world because you cant fix it without tearing the building apart. It HAS to be done right the first time.

If all 40 cables are running to 30 locations fairly close to one another, you can discount the pull a bit, but not much, especially if it's one pull and not multiples, like a hotel would have (set up 20-30 boxes/reels at the end of the hall, pull wire until the boxes are empty/too short for the next pull, save short pieces for short pulls, waste <4%).

JFletcher

If there are that many cables, and only one pull, I would do multiple pulls with fewer boxes of cable than do it all at once and have to cart out 40 partial boxes/reels that are ~800' left each. Ideally, I would leave the site with empty boxes or less than 30' per box/reel than have to cart all of that back out of the building, especially if I am multiple floors up. Cat6 has foot mark measurements; pull the longest runs first, then work backward. In hotels, the runs are typically 15' apart; the longest run may be 240', the next 225, then 210, then 195, then... oops, I have 130' left, I save that for mid runs after I use new reels for the 180,165,150,135' runs...

Status
Not open for further replies.