CAT5 use is a wiring method

reyamkram

In a factory I was working in I found a machine wired with CAT5 cable they use it as a wiring method to go from switch to switch and to the control panel one machine is 110 volts the other machine is is 24 volts I do not believe that is right where in the NEC can I find that this is a violation if I'm not mistaken Cat 5 cable can only handle around 50 volts thanking you in advance for any and all information it's very highly appreciate it

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The voltage rating will probably be marked on the cable.

It seems unlikely that CAT5 cable would be a NEC legal means of wiring up a machine except for class 2 circuits.

I could see how it might be acceptable for some things but probably not for 110 V circuits.

But more information is likely needed to completely rule it out.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 120 volt circuits would be Class 1 remote control circuits and you need to look at the permitted wiring methods for Class 1 control circuits. Note they really screwed this up in the 2023 code, so easier to find in the 2020 or older. In the older codes it is all in Article 725.
The 24 volt circuit may be Class 2, but that depends on the amount of power available from the power supply.