Cat6 Lash to Elec Conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJordal

We are installing Cat6 cable in a large open warehouse to feed manufacturing equipment. Most of the run will be in basket tray at 25' AFF. Ceiling is about 40'. The last 15' to the equipment will not have tray. There is a 2" EMT conduit which feed power to the equipment which we could possible follow. Are we allowed to run our Cat6 cable to the conduit? (I should probably know this but don't :) )

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Take a look here:

300.11(C) Raceways Used as Means of Support. Raceways shall be used only as a means of support for other raceways, cables, or
nonelectrical equipment under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where the raceway or means of support is identified as a means of support
(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely for the purpose of connection to the equipment control circuits
(3) Where the raceway is used to support boxes or conduit bodies in accordance with 314.23 or to support luminaires in accordance with 410.36(E)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the function of the CAT 6? Attaching it to the power conduit may be permitted by 300.11(C)(2).

DST83

Can 600V, CMR rated CAT6 cable (Belden 7953A) be ran in aluminum ladder tray with other 600V rated type TC cable and 300V rated type PLTC cable? The way I read Section 800 of the 2020 NEC, you can. Just want to confirm. Any advise would be appreciated.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Can 600V, CMR rated CAT6 cable (Belden 7953A) be ran in aluminum ladder tray with other 600V rated type TC cable and 300V rated type PLTC cable? The way I read Section 800 of the 2020 NEC, you can. Just want to confirm. Any advise would be appreciated.
I think you'll need to separate the 300V and 600V cable with a physical barrier in the tray.

DST83

I think you'll need to separate the 300V and 600V cable with a physical barrier in the tray.
I'm sorry, yes, that is true, my apologies. I suppose I should have asked, assuming the 600V and 300V are already separated, can you run 600V rated CAT6 cable in aluminum ladder tray with other 600V cables? Sorry, I was not clear in my question.

John Adams

We are installing Cat6 cable in a large open warehouse to feed manufacturing equipment. Most of the run will be in basket tray at 25' AFF. Ceiling is about 40'. The last 15' to the equipment will not have tray. There is a 2" EMT conduit which feed power to the equipment which we could possible follow. Are we allowed to run our Cat6 cable to the conduit? (I should probably know this but don't :) )
Obviously it's always best to be code compliant BUT many communications specs (like ANSI/TIA) generally don't recommend using supports that are not specifically designed for communications. I look at it simply as "was that 2" emt pipe put in their for my use, no"

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
TC and PLTC are chapter 3 wiring methods, much like rigid conduit. Is the TC anf PLTC a multi conductor type?

Status
Not open for further replies.