Category 3 cable and RJ11 jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does Cat 3 cable have 4 twisted pairs, or only 2?

If it has 4, can all 4 be terminated on an RJ11 jack?

Steve

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Category 3 cable and RJ11 jacks

CAT 3 cable is available with 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 25, 50, 100??pairs.

If you are using a 4 pair cable all 4 pairs can be used but you will need to use at least two RJ-11 jacks.

I?m surprised Hal didn?t jump on this question. :)

luke warmwater

:roll:

I was thinking that you were asking if only (2) of the (4) pairs in a 4-pair were twisted. Not how many total twisted pairs. As Curt stated there are many availible numbers of pairs.

And 4-pairs would terminate in an RJ-45.
As Curt also pointed out, you would need (2) RJ-11 jacks to terminate 4-pairs.

hurk27

The Cat rating of twisted pair cable is only a rating that tells us the tested speed the cable is capable of. as was said they will come in many flavors. Most cat 3 I have seen here was only 3 pair but I have run into some 6 pair.
Cat 3 I think was only good for 10 megs 5 was good for 100 megs 6 was supposed to be good for 1 gig but they had a problem on the manufacturing end so they re catted the 5 to what we now see as cat 5E to 1 gig. But these figures only apply if they are terminated properly.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I?m surprised Hal didn?t jump on this question.

Long day too.

The category of the cable has nothing to do with the number of pairs although I don't think CAT 5, 6 or 7 can be had in anything but 4 and maybe 25 pairs. As has been said, CAT 3 which is only used for voice today can be had in from 2,4,6,12 to multiples of 25 pairs.

The CAT 3 spec requires, among other things, that each pair be twisted. Don't expect CAT 3 to be twisted nearly as much as CAT 5 though and that's a good thing because it makes termination easier. We always prefer to use CAT 3 for voice because you don't have to untwist tightly twisted pairs to terminate them.

An RJ-11 jack is not a 4 pair jack, it is 1 pair jack. You need to brush up on jack designations. The designations relate to how the jack is wired, not necessarily how many pins it has. A jack with 4 pairs would be a RJ-45 and would require an 8 pin jack. You wire these as 568A, 568B or USOC depending on use.

Check out something like the back of a Leviton telecom catalog for all this information.

-Hal

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If you put 2 pair on a 4 pin,6 pin (or even an 8 pin USOC) jack you have an RJ-14. :cool:

Remember that the jack designation depends on how you wire it NOT on how many pins the jack has.

-Hal

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

What designation does indicate how many pins a jack has?

A client wanted phone lines ran with Cat 3 cable and RJ-11 connectors at all the outlets. All the wires will run back to a punch down block. He also specified that he wanted all pairs terminated.

STeve

luke warmwater

Steve,
it is common to call 4/6-pin jacks RJ11, and 8-pin jacks RJ45. This is really an incorrect reference. (see the other thread on dead-end 4-way)

There are 4 basic types of jacks and technicallities:
6-position, 6-position modified, 8-position, and 8-position keyed.
The 6-position can be wire either RJ11C(1-pair), RJ14C(2-pair), or RJ25C(3-pair).
The 8-position can be wired as RJ61C(4-pair) and RJ48C.

At a minimum, I would run 2-pair cat3 and use 4-position jacks. Wire the blue pair to red/green and the orange pair to black/yellow.

I would also use a block by ETCON or equivalent if this is purely voice.
A 66 blockfor a bunch of lines is going to require a bunch af bridge clips and looping.
The ETCON blocks are pre-looped and you just punch down where needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.