Category V cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

What is category V cable? Is it always used for computers? What is a rough estimate to use for price per foot? Thanks.

[ July 13, 2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: GG ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Category V cable

Cats can be a real nusiance and a serious safety hazard on construction sites. This type of cable is used to create temporary electric fences around construction sites to keep the cats out.

The V refers to the roman numeral 5, because the cable is rated to repel at least 5 cats simultaneously.

:)

[ July 13, 2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

southernboys

Bob what do you sugest for dogs? Have to agree there aint nothing like seeing a black cat on a job site. Wish I knew bout the catv wire would have been a great help.

stud696981

Cat 5 is the standard for most computer jobs. We charge the normal rate for running this just like we do for romex. Since this is normally in a separate set of holes, figure it like running a dedicated circuit, plus the price of parts.

jimwalker

cat 6 is now out and some are running it.Am told the speed is about 100 times faster than cat 5.I ran some today at USF.It's not cheap but not sure of dollar value.Have been told that most in this area charge about $70 per drop.That includes punch down and the jack

GG

Thanks, I dont know why but for some reason I was thinking category V cable was TV cable, but I guess thats just called coax cable.

jimwalker

cat5 and cat 6 both have 4 pairs.Can be used for phone or computer linking.The V is just a roman numeral to confuse us with.I have a piece of cat 6 in front of me now and i must say it is far better in quality from a physical standpoint.It has a plastic sleeve running thru it .Looks far stronger and is thicker.For most computers cat 5 will be plenty good enough.And fiber optic is starting to be offered in some areas.Electronics move fast.What is highend today will be outdated by next year. :)

celtic

Originally posted by GG:
Thanks, I dont know why but for some reason I was thinking category V cable was TV cable, but I guess thats just called coax cable.
Coax for Tv is generally of the RG variety.

GG

So are alot of you electrical contractors installing cat V for computers. I had a bid today where they said they needed cat V installed and tied into their main frame system. I had to turn that part of the job down, but feel like its probably something I need to learn how to do. Is there a big market out there for cat V installations? I dont seem to get many calls requesting it so I dont know if I should take the time to learn the ins and outs of cat V and computers. Any thoughts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Cat 5, Cat 5E and Cat 6 (commonly called UTP-unsheilded twisted pair), installations are become highly commonplace. Now most higher end residental homes will have Cat 5E or Cat 6 cabling for home computer networks, linking all of their computers, TIVO and other network devices together with one Internet connection.

As mentioned Cat 6 has an internal plastic strip that the conductors are twisted around to prevent it from bending at a sharp angle. This allows it to operate at a higher bandwith.

There really is no mystery about installing this stuff. A good seminar will teach you the basics and may provide an alternate source of income since it's easier to run than Type NM cable but similar in cost to the consumer.

shelco

Cat 5, 5E and 6, (now 7 is coming into play) are mostly for commercial purposes as speed is essential for networks. (fiber is the best).
most homes are using cat 5E but it does little as the speed is only as good as the line coming to the home. Fiber will be soon coming to the home. The short distances of wiring in the home you would see little or no difference in speed.
It is still a good idea to install 5 of 5E for future. You never know what the future brings.

I have 40,000 feet of cat 6 surplus if any one is interested. ( sorry about the shameless solicitation.)

GG

Well Im glad I didnt listen to Bob. I was already telling customers that catV cable is a cat repeller cable. I had 2 jobs set up today to install the "cat repeller" system at 2 peoples homes. Guess Im going to have to call them up and cancel, well on second thought I need the money. :D Guess I will just take a copy of Bobs post to their house with me.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks, I dont know why but for some reason I was thinking category V cable was TV cable
Probably because catv is a acronym for cable-tv. But "Cat 5" cable is completely different than "Catv" cable.

Steve

growler

This all reminds me of the story of the city slicker that went to the farmers CO-OP to find out how to cure his mule of the Mange. They told him the easiest way was to pour kerosene on the animal and set it on fire. He followed instructions and burned his barn down.

jimwalker

Best thing to do for a home is run at least cat 5 to any locations that might want a computer.Run them to a central location so if needed a router can be installed.Also run a cable (rg6) to this location from the point of entry outside.A phone line should also be run as well as cable for so they are ready for sat tv,phone,computer.Yes it will cost a little but they will be happy later.

pierre

Being that I do not purchase cable anymore, I have a question. Can one even purchase Cat5 anymore? I thought that only Cat5E (enhanced) and Cat6 were commercially available.

I was installing Cat5 and 5E 3 years ago, and I am surprised that some areas are not doing this.
Most every new house and renovation work I inspect today has multiple and sometimes more data/phone/cable wiring than electrical installed.

What puzzles me is why more electrical contractors are not installing this. I have (as an inspector) separate permits pulled by data installers for this work - and they usually do no better installation than the ECs who do this work.

BTW- the pricing of data drops for residential work range from $150 to $200/drop here - pretty good money as seeing the average price for a receptacle is around $50 per receptacle. HMMM...maybe more should think about this kind of work.

[ July 16, 2005, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: pierre ]

GG

I have seen where they offer 2-5 day seminars on how to terminate/install these types of cables. Anyone know of 1 in TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.