cathodic protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I am doing some design work for an underground drywell that has a cathodic protection system made by Good-All Electric in Nebraska. (The drywell is basically a metal can burried in the ground).

I can't find anything on the internet: Does anyone know if they are still in business??

We are designing a new control building, and relocating the electric service to this buidlng. So we will have grounding electrodes at the new building, and grounds ran with feeders to the drywell. Should I expect this to effect the protection system?

mcclary's electrical

As long as their cabling remains continuous,,,,,I think it will not affect cathotic protection. If you ground to any of their cabling,,,it could become affected.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
As long as their cabling remains continuous,,,,,I think it will not affect cathotic protection. If you ground to any of their cabling,,,it could become affected.

I'm not really familiar with these systems, so I'm not sure what cabling you are refering to.

Does anyone have a link to something that describes how these systems work, and what components are involved?

Steve

76nemo

I am doing some design work for an underground drywell that has a cathodic protection system made by Good-All Electric in Nebraska. (The drywell is basically a metal can burried in the ground).

I can't find anything on the internet: Does anyone know if they are still in business??

We are designing a new control building, and relocating the electric service to this buidlng. So we will have grounding electrodes at the new building, and grounds ran with feeders to the drywell. Should I expect this to effect the protection system?

Feel like reading through your lunch hour? :

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_570_02a.pdf

richxtlc

The cathodic protection system is designed to protect the metal can of the dry well. The dry well should be insulated with a zinc or magnesium anode connected via an insulated cable. Any bare metal placed near the dry will may have an effect on the cathodic protection system, usually the wrong way.
For more information you can try searching under "cathodic protection" and you will find more information then you can imagine. Most of the sites will explain how the system works, and some of the do's and don'ts when working with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.