CB panel water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybrama

A customer's rental property had a broken water line and the water ran into the CB panel and shorted out most of the circuits. The insurance company and General contractor just want to put a fan in front of the panel and dry it out and reuse it. The customer would like a new panel.
Does anybody know of any code sections, that would deal with replacing a panel because of water damage? The panel does not appear to have any arcing marks or welded parts.

thanking you in advance

rybrama

charlietuna

Having dealt with much hurricane damaged panels, i fine it wrong not to clean (or replace) the panel interior and replace ALL the circuit breakers that are water damaged. One call back will cost more than the cost of materials! Breakers are mechanical inside and can turn into a serious fire hazard when they don't trip on overloads.

growler

The insurance company and General contractor just want to put a fan in front of the panel and dry it out and reuse it. The customer would like a new panel.

Quick way to solve the problem, have the homeowner call the local AHJ and explain to them that the GC is attempting to do electrical inspections on water damaged equipment and OK it for use.

The GC shouldn't be authorized to sign off on the use of this equipment.

luckyshadow

I agree The panel should be replaced. Call the local AHJ and voice your concerns.
At the extreme minimum - if it's not going to be replaced ( and it should be) it should be field evaluated by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory ( NRTL). You can find a list of NRTL's at the osha website. I believe it is www.osha.gov On the top of the page you will see the site index, click on the letter "N" and scroll down to the NRTL link

The insurance company and the GC are just trying to cheap out on the owner, that panel needs to be replaced. ;)

Absolutely. And if they stand their ground and say "no" to replacing the panel, I'd tell them to go find anothers electrician to do it. After shorting out the panel has sustained some damage. You may not be able to see it, but I bet it's there.

You + installation of known shorted panel = you getting your pants sued off when house burns down. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.