CC Thoughts

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So as many of you know we have a very large 4" conduit job( about 40,000'). The company have never really used cost codes before. I streesed the importance of them for tracking and future estimating purposes. Well, we setup all the cost codes( not mnay at all) and the owner/PM says he really doesn't have time to use utlize them even if the foreman is calling in time under the correct code. He seems like it's not important to know this information. I think it's critical. I keep asking what our production rate is for installing the conduit and he says he doesn't know. Very discouraging!!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As a foreman I hated cost codes. For one they're not always accurate. I spent more time fudging the numbers than I did trying to keep track of my 15 men and what they were doing every minute of the work day. But to your question if the information is actually used for future bidding then it's a good thing. In my experience no one bothers to go back and actually look at those numbers. I've always felt like this would be a useful tool if everyone wasn't so under the gun to get the job done.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So how do you track progress and see how the field install compares ot the estimated units? I know the field hates cost codes which is expected but I think they provide valuable feedback if used correctly.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The problem is that management thinks people are interchangable. They are not. People can get quite good at some tasks within their job requirements and horrible at others. That applies to companies and crews as well.

This kind of tracking works good for parts but not people.