CE listed IEC 60898-1 and IEC 60947-2 Curve C breakers in the USA

brycenesbitt

I'm looking to learn more about the listing requirements for breakers under the NEC.
CE listed IEC 60898-1 and IEC 60947-2 mini DIN rail breakers are ubiquitous in Europe, and seen in a lot of imported equipment in the US and Canada.
The breakers seem to use mostly Curve C. While NEMA AB-1 is identical to UL489, UL489 differs slightly from the ICE standards.
-
What NEC concerns does this bring up? NEC Section 240.2 and 90.7 and 110.3 don't seem to be very specific.
"equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory in accordance with 110.3(C)." So do these CE marked breakers count?

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm looking to learn more about the listing requirements for breakers under the NEC.
CE listed IEC 60898-1 and IEC 60947-2 mini DIN rail breakers are ubiquitous in Europe, and seen in a lot of imported equipment in the US and Canada.
The breakers seem to use mostly Curve C. While NEMA AB-1 is identical to UL489, UL489 differs slightly from the ICE standards.
-
What NEC concerns does this bring up? NEC Section 240.2 and 90.7 and 110.3 don't seem to be very specific.
"equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory in accordance with 110.3(C)." So do these CE marked breakers count?
The CE mark is a self certification by the manufacturer and not a listing. A listing requires that the product be evaluated by a third party testing laboratory.
110.3(C) requires that the testing, evaluation, and listing (product certification) shall be performed by recognized qualified electrical testing laboratories. An Informational Note says the one method of determining that the testing laboratory is qualified is to select one from the OSHA list of National Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs).

brycenesbitt

110.3(C) requires that the testing, evaluation, and listing (product certification) shall be performed by recognized qualified electrical testing laboratories. An Informational Note says the one method of determining that the testing laboratory is qualified is to select one from the OSHA list of National Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs).
If the NTRL, say ITE, tests to IEC 60898-1 is that good enough?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If the NTRL, say ITE, tests to IEC 60898-1 is that good enough?
No. It has to be listed to a standard accepted in the US by the NRTLs. Right now that would be UL489. But many products are designed to meet multiple standards so a product could conceivably meet both.

UL and the IEC folks are working to harmonize the standards so over time they will use the same standards for products.

brycenesbitt

No. It has to be listed to a standard accepted in the US by the NRTLs. Right now that would be UL489.
Where exactly is that spelled out?
Are there any cases where an IEC 60898-1 device would be OK in the USA (they're same day delivery on Amazon and various supply houses, so you can be sure they're selling here)? Are they used in panel boards or the like?
The UL489 breakers are available in C curve and D curve. I know what those do electrically, but what is the appropriate curve for residential use?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
By what the NRTL is willing to list.

Are there any cases where an IEC 60898-1 device would be OK in the USA (they're same day delivery on Amazon and various supply houses, so you can be sure they're selling here)? Are they used in panel boards or the like?
I don't know if they will fit in any US style panelboard. There is no law in the US that says unlisted products cannot be sold here. However, the electrical code does require circuit breakers be listed. So if the application involves the cb having to comply with the nec, you can't use it and be in compliance if it is not listed.

Having said that, just being listed is not enough. It has to be suitable for the application and you have to follow the manufacturers instructions if it is a nec application.

The UL489 breakers are available in C curve and D curve. I know what those do electrically, but what is the appropriate curve for residential use?
I don't think it matters.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I realized my answer to this might be confusing. The NRTLs and the standards making bodies have a partnership where they have made agreements about who is going to make the standards and the NRTLs agree they will test to those standards.

ANSI is sort of the father of the standards makers for this country. All the standards makers are part of ANSI.

It can be confusing because UL is both a testing lab and a standards body on its own.

ETL is a testing lab but does not create standards.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
110.3(C) Listing.
Product testing, evaluation, and listing (product certification) shall be performed by recognized qualified electrical testing laboratories and shall be in accordance with applicable product standards recognized as achieving equivalent and effective safety for equipment installed to comply with this Code.
The applicable product standards are ones written for the US.
There are some standards that are acceptable for use in the US, Canada, and the EU. If such a product is listed by UL it will have the listing mark shown below.
If you look at a product listing standard, the standard itself will show what countries it is intended to be used in.
1727017934447.png
[/QUOTE]