joe tedesco

May 12, 2008
For Immediate Release
512-463-3208

TDLR Issues Fourteen Electrical Cease And Desist Orders

AUSTIN - The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) issued
fourteen cease and desist orders against unlicensed individuals to
prevent them from acting as licensed electrical contractors. All actions
are the result of investigations into illegal activities.

TDLR encourages consumers to report any business contact with these
unlicensed individuals or businesses working in the electrical industry
so the agency may take appropriate action. Contact TDLR at
1-800-803-9202 or by email to TDLR at complaints@license.state.tx.us

Cease and Desist Orders
Steve Pinnell
296 County Road 4641
Winnsboro, Texas 75494
Date of Issuance: April 23, 2008
Violation: Unlicensed electrical activity
Greg Cosgrove, d/b/a/ A/C Outdoor Services
6510 Brookgate Dr.
Spring, Texas 77373
Date of Issuance: April 23 , 2008
Raul Torres
8819 Enchanted Forest Dr.
Houston, Texas 77088
Michael Holmes
19723 Westfield Parkway
Houston, Texas 77449
Mike Daley
1515 Sweetgum
Conroe, Texas 77385
Mike Sims, d/b/a Home Work Handyman Service
P.O. Box 241
Dayton, Texas 77535
Blake Kirchner, d/b/a D & D Electrical Services Co.
14802 Grant Road
Cypress, Texas 77429
Kenneth W. Marcantel
18135 Howards Way
Houston, Texas 77306
Shon Brunswick, d/b/a Power Trip
2501 Tanglewilde Street, Apt. 189
Houston,Texas 77063
Jerry Myers
11419 Quincewood
Houston, Texas 77089
Ron Garza, d/b/a South Texas Electric
P.O. Box 582
Pearsall, Texas
Date of Issuance: May 7, 2008
David Keene
18919 Yaupon Trail
Humble, Texas 77346
Keene Construction
2600 Westerland #912
Houston, Texas 77063
Randall Roberts, d/b/a Handy Randy
7822 Uvalde
Lubbock, Texas 79423
Date of Issuance: May 2, 2008

Seems like they are keeping up with the bootleggers! How is this enforced in your area?

tmbrk

But they gave me such a great price!

What with all the flying splices, we saved so much by not using unneccesary boxes and fittings.:grin:

Seriously though, I wish Illinois would get off their rears and be as responsible as some other states.

Buck Parrish

Seriously though, I wish Illinois would get off their rears and be as responsible as some other states.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine states not having a state license. When in the city they require it.
Say a guy is doing a service upgrade just outside the city limits. A block away from the city. Inside the city limits he would be breaking the law.

tmbrk

In Illinois (at least in the six county Chicagoland area) there are a number of municipalities that offer the licensing test and they are reciprocal. The rest of the cities and villages accept these licenses although you must register with them as an EC and secure a bond.

Some municipalities and unincorporated county areas don't require a license. This just encourages the hacks who often venture into other areas that require a license and do work anyway.

Many of the municipalities are strict and watch for these guys. Many do not. It's a mixed bag.

The city I live in does not require a license. I actually don't even advertise here because of this. I know some unlicensed guys doing work here for next to nothing and I have decided that I won't even compete with them. I do know that they have no health insurance or benefits of any kind and when they get too old to do the work I will probably see them at Walmart handing out shopping carts.

The funny thing is the city I live in has strict code enforcement. Nothing but EMT for residential. Even though anyone from the local Dentist to the guy working behind the counter at the Quickmart can legally install your electric.:confused:

c2500

Last edited:

c2500

buckofdurham said:
Seriously though, I wish Illinois would get off their rears and be as responsible as some other states.

I can't imagine states not having a state license. When in the city they require it.
Say a guy is doing a service upgrade just outside the city limits. A block away from the city. Inside the city limits he would be breaking the law.[/QUOTE]

Buck,

In SC, you can do work in the county with a specialty electricial license. Also known as pay $50 and get the license. Fortunately in the cities you have to have the specialty license that you actually took and passed a test if you want to wire a house. I am pretty sure that when they added the testing, new applicants are subject to the test. Unfortunately, alot of people were grandfathered in.

Also, a licensed residential builder or GC can pull all the permits in the county( Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical, Framing). Cities require the additionial licenses. Personally I have residential builders, plumber, and electrical. The law here requires bonding if the work in over $5000. Also, residential licenses are capped at $5000 of commercial work. Unfortunately, even the cities don't enforce that rule.

c2500

ITO

joe tedesco said:

Seems like they are keeping up with the bootleggers! How is this enforced in your area?

This comes as an email every month for TDLR, and in reality its just a tiny drop in a giant bucket. What gets me is in the resi-market there will be whole crews of non-English speaking Mexicans and one American licensed electrician, but TDLR does nothing.

Colo. is the same way, problems all over and no one doing anything about it anywhere. But now they at least make sure you are a "LEGAL" citizen before you can renew you'r license and also do a background check which is good to keep the "RIFRAF" out.

crossman

ITO said:
This comes as an email every month for TDLR, and in reality its just a tiny drop in a giant bucket.

Exactly. Texas has a long long loooooong way to go before having it under control.

What gets me is in the resi-market there will be whole crews of non-English speaking Mexicans and one American licensed electrician, but TDLR does nothing.

And not only that, but all the exempted electrical work in the statute. A texas based electrical contractor can build a complete oil refinery without a single licensed electrician, nor a master. New construction work in this state is exempt from the requirements as long as the contractor is from texas. Now, if it is an out of state contractor, their guys have to be licensed byr the state. Go figure. Money talks.

dduffee260

Joe, I see those things in the email all the time. Truth is about the only place they enforce things are DFW area and Houston area. The rest of the state is pretty much non-policed.

I sometimes think the TDLR went state wide and handed out Journeyman's cards like they were a Cracker Jack prize just for the revenue. I still think they should have maken everyone who wanted a state license to re-test for it. A person would be amazed at the things they learn about the trade that they know everything on just by studying for a test.

wirebender

dduffee260 said:
Joe, I see those things in the email all the time. Truth is about the only place they enforce things are DFW area and Houston area. The rest of the state is pretty much non-policed.

It is pretty much non-policed statewide, but they are catching people all over the state.

http://www.license.state.tx.us/cimsfo/fores01.asp

Most are caught after a complaint is filed on them. But I understand you can contact TDLR and request for them to come to your area and do some checking around. Caveat Emptor!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
bradleyelectric said:
Why is the EC responsible for the vent duct? I never run vent duct. I'm not HVAC. I had a GC try to tell me I had to supply a water heater on tennant space recently. They got the idea real quick I was not the mechanical contractor.

The code doesn't say who is responsible for it, only that it has to be done. I don't do it on new work except for in-line whole-house ventilators, but on old work we're responsible for installing it or calling an hvac contractor to do it. The HO doesn't know what has to be done, and if they hire us as their contractor we should see that it is installed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.