cee and FDOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Anyone familiar with Florida DOT design standards? I am new to the road building field. Design standards 17502 show in detail how to install highway lighting and highmast lighting. They get into great detail on ground rods and ground wiring sizes but nowhere is mentioned a CEE in the steel reinforced base. Is a CEE not required in light pole bases?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Cavie said:
Anyone familiar with Florida DOT design standards? I am new to the road building field. Design standards 17502 show in detail how to install highway lighting and highmast lighting. They get into great detail on ground rods and ground wiring sizes but nowhere is mentioned a CEE in the steel reinforced base. Is a CEE not required in light pole bases?
a cee is not required by the NEC.

you are required to use it if it is present.

it is doubtful that a cee as defined by the code is present under your light pole.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
petersonra said:

it is doubtful that a cee as defined by the code is present under your light pole.

But if the pole light is only being fed by a single circuit you don't need a grounding electrode at all, take a look at 250.32(A).

Chris

Cavie

petersonra said:

There is in fact more than 20' of 1/2" rebar as per FDOT specs in the base of the poles. 20' 1/2 copper ground rods on highway lighting and a grounding ary on the highmast poles as per specs.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
From what I've been told, FDOT requires 50 ft of ground rods, 5 ten footers or 1 50 footer. Mike Holt has a video showing driving 50 ft of ground rod by his office.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Cavie said:
There is in fact more than 20' of 1/2" rebar as per FDOT specs in the base of the poles.

Concrete-Encased Electrode. An electrode encased
by at least 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete, located within and
near the bottom of a concrete foundation or footing that is
in direct contact with the earth, ...

Carefully read the definition. I am not sure that the base of the lightpole qualifies as a CEE. The amount of rebar does not make it a CEE.

brian john

From a practical stand point, if you have a concrete base and then have pole mounting bolts in the concrete base and the mounting bolts are tie wired to the rebar. Then you are connected to the CEE and then your ground electrode is connected to the pole that is anchored to the base/CEE. What more could you ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.