CEE and multiple disconnects... GEC pass through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
See 2017 NEC 250.62(D)

We are building an addition to our office. Currently, there is a trough with two disconnects feeding two 200A panels, and the GEC’s currently meet the requirements of 250.62(D)(1)(3), in that there is a copper bus bar where the existing CEE, ground rods, and building steel are terminated.

We left additional conduit in the ground from the trough for planned expansion, but it’s just a 3” PVC for the feeder.

I bonded the rebar on the new footer and left stubbed up where the panel for the addition will go.

Is it acceptable to land the new GEC on the ground bar of the new panel and then bond the new disconnect to the grounding bus bar, or do I have to run the new GEC for the CEE and steel directly to the bus bar?

250.62(D) says it must meet the requirements of (1), (2), OR (3), so I’m reading that as it must be one or the other but not a combination of. (1) says it must extend to the disconnect, and then to the common electrode, so I feel like it may be ok to land the new GEC’s in the panel first; I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It will be considered a new service.

I have a trough with tap blocks coming from the transformer. I’ll add another meter & disconnect. I have two existing meters & disconnects now; one for the existing office, and a separate meter for the exterior and parking lot lighting. Below that is a copper grounding bus bar for the existing steel, footer rebar, and ground rods.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like the question is: "Can I use a feeder EGC to a remote panel to also serve as a GEC back to the service?"

Am I right? Or is the new panel location also where the addition's main disconnect is?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It sounds like the question is: "Can I use a feeder EGC to a remote panel to also serve as a GEC back to the service?"

Am I right? Or is the new panel location also where the addition's main disconnect is?

Yes, you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.