Ceiling Fans and Remotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

I'm sure you've all experienced this, but I wondered what you do about it. I'm talking about the fans that come with the remote in the box (mostly the two big box store brands with HB for initials, but also lately some Hunter's) where there is NO way humanly possible to install the fan per the directions. These are the ones with the canopy yoke that the ball hangs from and the instructions say to push all connections up thru that 1" hold in the yoke and then place the remote (that brown box) inside the yoke. This got my goat because I had one last week where the leads from the remote box were only 4" long. There was no physical way to put the connections thru the hole and then slide the remote in place. In the past, when the leads were a bit longer, I've manged (with much cursing) to get it installed properly.

This one issue combined with all the other issues I've had with fans has got me on the brink of saying Casablanca or get someone else to install it.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like a real idiot trying to explain to the homeowner that I can't install the fan they just bought because it isn't possible. They look at me like I'm a moron.

If nothing else, if I could get some other experiences with this in writing, at least I could provide that to the HO in the future, so they know that it is a common issue.

Thanks,

Mark

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
They are a pain to install but the real issue I have with those cheapies is about 6 months later the remote fails and I look like I didn't install properly

Thanks for the response. I'm wondering, if the leads are shorter than the remote itself, how is it possible to put the wire nuts up in the box AND get the remote in place, since the remote COMPLETELY covers the hole once inserted in the yoke. Maybe I'm just dense?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.