Ceiling nounted exhaust fan for Apt Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgeorge

Hello Everyone,

I did not know where to post this, so moderators, place it where you think is appropriate. My situation is this:

Client has to install a ceiling exhaust fan in the kitchen.....why you ask?

Smoke detectors in the building are going off whenever the tenant cooks, and the fire company has been out 3 times in a month. Now the landlord is getting 500.00 per occurance.

OK, that being said...I was thinking of a remote inline unit, as there will be attic access above. OR.........A panasonic exhaust fan. I am more concerned about the wear and tear of a typical bath room exhaust fan. Even though this isn't a commercial kitchen, there is a likely hood of a decent amount of grease in the air. Cost does not seem to be a factor...they are tired of getting fined. BTW----I did ask them if they would like to relocate the smoke detector, and they did not want to go that route....IDK why???

Thanks, for any input!!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO you shouldn't be installing a fan intended for use in a bathroom in a kitchen of any kind. I would find a fan that is suitable for use in a kitchen.

bgeorge

Rob,

I totally agree....but what is out there other than industrial 5-10 sone units? This kitchen is 10x6. I don't want to put a bath fan in...that is why I am looking for suggestions.

Cavie

Residential roof monted exhaust fans for cooking are common and nice and quiet in the house. Hoods are easy to build. Been there, done that.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Aside from the manufactures instructions in bath fans saying not to use in them in kitchens, the little skeleton motors inside the fan could not stand up to a diet of grease and soot from a kitchen.

The motor in an in line fan is more robust but I still see a problem with the greasy/sooty air from the kitchen, especially since the fan placed up in the attic is not likely to be cleaned regularly if ever.

What Cavie said makes the most sense.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Hello Everyone,

I did not know where to post this, so moderators, place it where you think is appropriate. My situation is this:

Client has to install a ceiling exhaust fan in the kitchen.....why you ask?

Smoke detectors in the building are going off whenever the tenant cooks, and the fire company has been out 3 times in a month. Now the landlord is getting 500.00 per occurance.

OK, that being said...I was thinking of a remote inline unit, as there will be attic access above. OR.........A panasonic exhaust fan. I am more concerned about the wear and tear of a typical bath room exhaust fan. Even though this isn't a commercial kitchen, there is a likely hood of a decent amount of grease in the air. Cost does not seem to be a factor...they are tired of getting fined. BTW----I did ask them if they would like to relocate the smoke detector, and they did not want to go that route....IDK why???

Thanks, for any input!!!!

Cooking should not cause smoke alarms to sound, unless the tenant is BURNING. Tell the LL to tell the tenant if they BURN anything in the building again, they're out on the street.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Had this with a bath room, take a shower open the door to the hall condensate triped the smoke in the hall way. Told the owners no more bathing problem solved; billed them for a consulting fee and service call!! Ok we moved the smoke.

kwired

Electron manager
It was already mentioned to move the smoke detector that was too close to cooking area. Then it was mentioned that this was not an option. You would need much more than the average bath fan or even 'economy' to average range hood to insure against alarms, plus tenants will have to remember to turn it on.

How about changing the smoke detector to a heat only detector?

rbwsparky

Fantech is the way to go. Best fan on the market, remote mounting makes it silent. They have fans for many uses. We use them any time there is space needed to remote mount,and the inlet is no larger than a recessed light.

AV ELECTRIC

Have you tried the ionic bulb I bought some the other day to try them out Usually I would not buy an infomercial product but they worked surprisingly well . would they clear smoke fast enough to prevent alarms I will continue to experiment to see how they perform

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Cooking should not cause smoke alarms to sound, unless the tenant is BURNING. Tell the LL to tell the tenant if they BURN anything in the building again, they're out on the street.
Invisible products of combustion from normal cooking can set off ionization type smoke alarms. It does not require burning food to set them off. Often the problem can be solved by relocating the smoke...completely out of the kitchen if permitted. The following is from this document.
There is no single solution to deal with kitchen related nuisance alarms. A February 26, 2004 National Institute of Standards and Technology, United States (NIST) news release, ?Current Smoke Alarms Save Lives If Properly Used? states ?the NIST tests showed that normal cooking activities cause nuisance alarms in both photoelectric and ionization type alarm. Neither type of detector was demonstrably better in reducing nuisance alarms.? There is no statistical data to support one technology over the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.