Cell Phone App

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ok I now have smart phone. If I install an electrical app (like volt drop), when I use it does the phone use air time? or is the app program on the phone?
I don't have unlimited minutes.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok I now have smart phone. If I install an electrical app (like volt drop), when I use it does the phone use air time? or is the app program on the phone?
I don't have unlimited minutes.

If the app uses data from the internet it consumes some of your data plan. I don't know of any phone company that does not require a data plan with a smart phone. If you use no data you don't have much need for the abilities of a smart phone.

If the app only uses resources from the phones own storage you don't even need a signal to use the app.

Rampage_Rick

Put your phone in "airplane mode"

If the app still works without a hitch, it shouldn't cost you a nickel. If it complains about not having a connection, then you'll get billed for data usage (though you likely have an allocated amount included with your monthly plan)

Actually, where a lot of the "free" apps can nail you is the little ads they show at the edges of the screen. The app itself may not use data but the new ad every few minutes counts against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.