Century 2 speed motor wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
I have a customer that had a motor go bad on a barn fan. It's a 230v 2 speed motor. The old motor had a disconnect with three fuses. The old motor was wired 240 with one 120v going to the high speed and one 120v going to the low speed. There's another wire going to the motor that seems to have 22v to ground...and that one I believe was labeled common? The customer took the old one off and installed the new one so I'm not completely sure on some of this. The old motor is kind of irrelevant anyway but thought I should give some detail. The new motor plate is in the picture below and it looks to me like the high and low both tie to the same line and the other line wire goes to the opposing 120v line.....right? It's not the same as the old one at all and he blew a fuse when he connected the high and low to 240v. Am I correct if I tie the high and low together in the disco on the same 120v line and the other remaining wire to the opposing 120v line and eliminate the third wire coming into the top of the disco?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_6086[1].jpg
    IMG_6086[1].jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
No, you do not tie the high and low together, that will blow a fuse and burn up the motor.

You need three wires, one common, one switch leg for high, one switch leg for low. Or just run the motor on one speed.

Ok...so....the way it is now I have 240v between the high speed and low speed connections on the line side of the disconnect so they would be hot to the motor at all times. The third wire which would be connected to the other "Line" on the motor diagram would be grounded then? He has two of these fans and the one that has an old motor and still works is wired with high speed to one leg, low speed to the other leg, and the third wire in the disconnect measures 22v to the ground bar. I haven't verified the ground connection so that could be why it's 22v. One fan works and the other doesn't. The new motor is wired the same but it blows one of the fuses immediately upon closing the disconnect. I don't recall if it's the low or high speed fuse. New motor is bad?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Nothing to ground for the motor leads. L1=common. L2 connects to EITHER high speed or low speed, never both the same time.

Since its 240V you could make L2 common and switch L1. The important thing is you only complete the circuit through the low speed or the high speed. Three wires, like a three way switch, common, high, low.

Last edited:

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Nothing to ground for the motor leads. L1=common. L2 connects to EITHER high speed or low speed, never both the same time.

Since its 240V you could make L2 common and switch L1. The important thing is you only complete the circuit through the low speed or the high speed. Three wires, like a three way switch, common, high, low.

Got it. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.