Ceu

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Virginia is requiring CEU's for renewal of licenses as are most states where I hold a masters.

I have taken numerous EXCELLENT classes, but for some reason these were not approved by one county in my area. 5 day course by a major manufacture. So I get notified that a 3 hour course on NEC changes is on the approved list. Folks I talked too, that have taken one of these classes told me this class is 90% residential.

So as usual it appears to me, that a good thought by our state representatives is turned into a money maker for some training centers with little concern for actual improvement. Maybe I am stupid but these mini classes are too much too quick.

A 3 hour class, covering mostly residential matter really does little in the long scheme of things for many. Additionally most masters I know have little to do with electrical work once they get into business.

If they really wanted to improve they would require a 6 weeks once a week 3 hours a night, then there might be a dent in the lack of learning.

I am not against school, I am constantly taking classes, beats watching the Deadliest Catch on Discovery NIGHT AFTER NIGHT. Looking into my fall classes today, registering Tuesday.

Buck Parrish

My state NC allows courses to be taken on the internet. You can choose commercial, reisdential, code changes etc...
I think the State officials have decided to change this. Change will be sitting in a class at some hotel for 10 hours.

peter d

brian john said:
I am not against school, I am constantly taking classes, beats watching the Deadliest Catch on Discovery NIGHT AFTER NIGHT. Looking into my fall classes today, registering Tuesday.

Gee, I'm not sure...I think watching reruns of Deadliest Catch beats sitting in a classroom talking about the NEC, but that's just me. ;)

brian john

Other than Mythbusters, Cash Cab and Surviorman they are loosing me.

Another comment I would like to hear is on requiring masters to take this class, I really am all for education and really feel a GOOD NEC class for JW should be mandatory. But a company with 245 men owner is master, does he really need a 3 hour class.

I am taking an online class to satisfy the requirements. But as stated I will continue to take classes of my choice, that I feel satisfy my needs.

R Bob

brian john said:
Other than Mythbusters, Cash Cab and Surviorman they are loosing me.

Another comment I would like to hear is on requiring masters to take this class, I really am all for education and really feel a GOOD NEC class for JW should be mandatory. But a company with 245 men owner is master, does he really need a 3 hour class.

I am taking an online class to satisfy the requirements. But as stated I will continue to take classes of my choice, that I feel satisfy my needs.

I'm also considering taking an online class to meet the VA requirement. I suspect that you are licensed in PG County, MD also. What do you do to comply with their 10 hr. requirement? I noticed that the MH continuing ed classes are acceptable in MD, but not VA.

iwire

Staff member
Brian if an owner is a license holder why should they be above the rules.

Here in MA license holders need 21 hours each code cycle, (15 hours specified classes, 6 hours 'other') I think as an employee I find it moral boosting to see the office guys sitting in the class with the rest of us.

Also the mandated training covers more then the NEC, they talk about local laws regarding ratios, permitting etc.

As much as we installers need to know the latest NEC owners need to know the business rules. Hard for a business owner to claim 'I did not know I had to have workers comp' when that was covered in class.

brian john

Bob I am not against learning, my point was/is a 3 hour class that covers residential is sufficient, that is a joke.

I take classes all the time, some classes that would blow any of the mandatory CEU classes out of the water but their CEU's are not acceptable.

If anything I am for more education, make it a 6 week class.

My point on masters is a guy with 245 men has other things on his mind. I was on a job once with a large company owner and a client asked him a question his answer "I run a business my chief goal is to make sure my men can answer questions like that"

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
buckofdurham said:
My state NC allows courses to be taken on the internet. You can choose commercial, reisdential, code changes etc...
I think the State officials have decided to change this. Change will be sitting in a class at some hotel for 10 hours.

Not quite- here is info from the NC assoc. of EC's (NCAEC)-- ncaec.org

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It is going to bring about changes in the way that you get continuing education in North Carolina in that you can only get 4 hours of the 8 hours required by correspondence testing. In other words 4 hours will have to be in a live class in front of an instructor. The NCAEC is setting up it's 10 divisions to be continuing education providers so that if our members attend 8 meetings in the 2008 year it will give them the 8 hours required for North Carolina. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Some of you that have a Virginia Electrical License now know that Virginia requires 3 hours of continuing education each year. To let you know that the NCAEC is now a continuing education provider for the State of Virginia.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

iwire

Staff member
brian john said:
Bob I am not against learning,

I know that. :cool: I am sure we all know that. :smile:

my point was/is a 3 hour class that covers residential is sufficient, that is a joke.

But joke or not it is the rules and just because you feel it is beneath you does not really make any difference.

In my area the classes are largely based on what the sections of the code that get the most violations.

Your crew is not the average crew but they are not so different that they are above suffering through a boring class.

I take classes all the time, some classes that would blow any of the mandatory CEU classes out of the water but their CEU's are not acceptable.

Yes, no doubt but it is what it is.

I have to take one 15 hour class for MA and RI but CT does not recognize those classes so I end up taking basically the same class again within weeks of the first one to satisfy CT.

Do you really think with all my forum participation I learn much about the new code sections?

iwire

Staff member
brian john said:
My point on masters is a guy with 245 men has other things on his mind.

I don't see that as anywhere near a reason to be treated differently.

If you want to keep your masters license you need to play by the same rules the master does that has only one man working for him.

brian john

R Bob said:
I'm also considering taking an online class to meet the VA requirement. I suspect that you are licensed in PG County, MD also. What do you do to comply with their 10 hr. requirement? I noticed that the MH continuing ed classes are acceptable in MD, but not VA.

Got mine today not a bad 1-1/2 hours online, decent questions.

I had just finished a one week seminar at Bussman in St. Louis and asked if this class could be accepted by PG and submitted two other classes I had taken, none were accepted. In my typical haste to tell them to stuff it. I let my license lapse. In 25 years I have pulled 5 permits in PG, no loss.

Of course now with the Washington Harbor I may have to take a APPROVED CLASS.

Oh love the VA Licensing website, my competition offers the training.

inspector141

Virginia has implemented a very elaborate system of cont ed but only requires 3 hours. It is what it is, but it makes very little sense. What are you going to teach in 3 hours? Very little. There are excellent 12 hour courses in MD that are NOT approved in VA for reasons that are not explained from Virginia adequately.

brian john

Marty:

In my earlier post I noted regarding MD, that I have taken some excellent courses, that MD does not recognize. I think that all the states requiring CEUs should really take a hard look at why they are requiring this education and consider if the course is electrically related and has the required CEU's they should consider the course. I doubt 10 hours is enough time.

SmithBuilt

It seems this is a problem everywhere.

I agree the classes are a joke. I had been taking the online class in order to avoid wasting 8 hours in a classroom. But now as Dennis stated NC has changed and we will have to have a minimum of 4 (of the 8 needed) hours of classroom time each year.

Then there's the money you must pay to attend the worthless cont ed class.

There's one inspector in my area that is offering a class. IMO that's coming close to a conflict of interest.

TOOL_5150

We should be able to mark down the hours spent on this site for CEU. I know I probably spend 7 - 12 hours on this site alone in one 7 day week.

~Matt

JohnJ0906

SmithBuilt said:
There's one inspector in my area that is offering a class. IMO that's coming close to a conflict of interest.

2 of my teachers in apprenticeship were active inspectors. I don't see a conflict.
Neither do I see a conflict if they are teaching CEU classes where CEUs are required - unless they have the ONLY approved class.

brian john

SmithBuilt/John:

How bout my competition offering classes. I am going to take a class from them, other legitimate places to take the class Jimmy's Elec and Iron repair shop (OK not quite that bad, but close, SERIOUSLY).

steelersman

brian john said:
Virginia is requiring CEU's for renewal of licenses as are most states where I hold a masters.

I have taken numerous EXCELLENT classes, but for some reason these were not approved by one county in my area. 5 day course by a major manufacture. So I get notified that a 3 hour course on NEC changes is on the approved list. Folks I talked too, that have taken one of these classes told me this class is 90% residential.

So as usual it appears to me, that a good thought by our state representatives is turned into a money maker for some training centers with little concern for actual improvement. Maybe I am stupid but these mini classes are too much too quick.

A 3 hour class, covering mostly residential matter really does little in the long scheme of things for many. Additionally most masters I know have little to do with electrical work once they get into business.

If they really wanted to improve they would require a 6 weeks once a week 3 hours a night, then there might be a dent in the lack of learning.

Yeah I just took an online one for 3 hours. And it was probably 99-100% residential. Basically just covered all the new code changes. I would imagine that it being focused mainly on residential is best as most of the code changes seem to apply mainly to residential as far as I can remember from the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.