Challenger Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I have run into a few Cahallenger panels on various jobsites. I'm curious to know what breakers are rated to go into these panels? Cutler Hammer?

norcal

Eaton got Challenger when they bought Westinghouse in 1994, they later sold Challenger to T&B, go to the C-H website and you should be able to find the info that the C-H BR breakers are a UL classified replacement for Challenger breakers.

Slightly off topic: Does anyone know what happened to the T&B panel line?

peter d

Slightly off topic: Does anyone know what happened to the T&B panel line?

It was totally discontinued. There was a supply house near me that carried it and they had it one week and they didn't have it the next.

If I remember correctly T&B stuff was functionally and mechanically identical to the Challenger/Westinghouse stuff of that time period. I still have a handful of T&B breakers and they are exactly the same as a modern Cutler Hammer or old Bryant or Westinghouse.

norcal

It was totally discontinued. There was a supply house near me that carried it and they had it one week and they didn't have it the next.

If I remember correctly T&B stuff was functionally and mechanically identical to the Challenger/Westinghouse stuff of that time period. I still have a handful of T&B breakers and they are exactly the same as a modern Cutler Hammer or old Bryant or Westinghouse.

I still wondered why T&B dropped the line,they bought the Westinghouse safety switch line at the same time as getting Challenger, so between them there had to be a significant investment . I have never used T&B as it's been going on nearly 30 years that I have dispised Bryant and it's successors......

After Westinghouse bought Challenger they used Bryant/Westinghouse BR breakers rebadged as Challenger (much the same thing as Siemens did later w/ Crouse-Hinds/Murray in dropping the Murray design & using the I-T-E breakers they already manufactured) & they also rebadged larger frame Westinghouse breakers as Challenger replacing the FPE ones used before, since they were branded as Zinsco & Sylvania before & they had always used FPE for anything over 225A and or 240V.

Status
Not open for further replies.