Chandelier Hoist Install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccayry

DSC04994.jpg

I am trying to come up with a way to install a chandelier and lift. The chandelier will need to be connected in the center of the circular cutouts as seen in the picture. My thoughts were to fabricate a bracket that will mount in the center with a pulley located directly above where the outlet box will mount. The mount will be about 30' feet above floor level and will need to be able to support about 200lbs max. I have been looking at the Alladin light lifts and was wondering if any of you guys have ever run into a similar install. Any ideas you may have would be much appreciated. Thanks

John120/240

I would reccomend the Alladin light lift. If you use your rope & pulley system, you still have to

get yourself 30 ft AFF to make up the connections & secure the canopy. Rig up your bracket

out of 2x8 or uni strut. Locate the Alladin key switch in a closet close by, you need to see the

fixture as it goes up or down. Whatever you method you choose, make sure that the fixture

is secure. If a 200lb fixture is on the floor in pieces, it would be deadly.

hurk27

From the looks of the photo this is a crows nest without any attic space above it, this can be an engineering nightmare but possible, if you can install a pulley at the center then mount the special box with the contacts in it just below it, you might have to have some blocking for this, then route the cable over to the side to another pulley down to the wench which looks like it would have to be installed in the ceiling below, or somewhere out of sight on the side of the crows nest, you might have something, but I'm not sure if anyone makes an all in one surface mount wench system that could be mounted to this ceiling for the light to mount directly to, A few years back I had a foyer that was a vaulted ceiling with no attic space above it, I had to use 3 pulleys to get the cable to the wench down in to another attic, also the pulleys and wench had to be rated double the load weight.

iMuse97

What Hurk said.

Also, a few years ago, I installed a lift at the far end of a 35' gable laminated beam. Ran the cable 3/4" above the beam in the little triangle between the top of the beam and the rafters, and then through a pulley and down through the beam to the top of the 8' diam. chandelier.

The electrical feed for the light ran in 1/2" emt next to the lift cable.

Take your time. We spent two days with two guys (and the sometimes helpful homeowner; he was an engineer which explains why he was only sometimes helpful. jk.) on this project, especially since the whole thing was 25' aff.

Status
Not open for further replies.