CHANGING FROM A ISOLATED SYSTEM TO GFCI'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.COLLETT

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR FLOORING MATERIAL TO BE USED IN A SURGERY ROOM, IF YOU CHANGE FROM A ISOLATED SYSTEM TO USING GFCI'S?

{Moderator's Note: Edited to remove personal contact information. If you wish to contact this person, please send a Private Message.}

[ August 30, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: P.COLLETT ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: CHANGING FROM A ISOLATED SYSTEM TO GFCI'S

Why would there be?.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Please turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read. It is also considered impolite, as though you were SHOUTING at us.

hardworkingstiff

I'm not sure why you would do this. It's my understanding the reason to have isolated grounds in a surgical room is that if you have a ground fault you will get an alarm but not lose power in the middle of a procedure. I sure would not want to be the patient if a fault occurred in the middle of a delicate moment and you tripped the GFCI.

[ August 30, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: hardworkingstiff ]

hardworkingstiff

My last post is wrong in that I said isolated ground. It is an isolated system as the original post said. The transformer does not have a grounded secondary, hence you can have a fault to ground on either side of the transformer without tripping a breaker. GFCI's will not serve the same purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.