Charging to use Masters' Liscence to pull permits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchell

What is the average/usual & customary charge to pull permits for someone that does not have a masters'? Or, is it done? too risky? :eek: :confused:

ryan_618

Re: Charging to use Masters' Liscence to pull permits

I love turning people into the state investigators office for things like this.

Don't do it. It is not worth getting fined.

People who have that license have proven the competency to do the installation, those who do not have it have not.

[ November 10, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

mitchell

I am employed by this person!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of salary should I ask for? :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ask for a partnership. Really if this person brings financial backing to the table and you bring the license there should be some negotiating. It may not be 50/50 but if you hold the license there should be more than a salary.

You and your license are the responsible and qualified party.

Roger

gwz2

I would call that practice " Sub-letting a License"

Many municipalities have such a clause in the licensing Ordinance forbiding such practices with a heavy fine and losing the license if caught doing so.

Best check your localities Ordinances.

gwz2

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

This sort of thing has been known to happen in the engineering world as well. One person does a design, and presents the completed project to a licensed professional engineer, who then, for a small fee, applies the PE seal. The practice is explicitly forbidden by law, and violates the Engineers Code of Ethics. I?ve also heard of similar cases related to the misuse of the Washington State Electrical Administrator License.

But let?s not be too hasty in judgment. Let me split a hair here. Are you asking for a fair price for you to pull the permit, so that a person who lacks the legal authority to pull the permit (be that person your boss or a total stranger, it matters not), and so that you can then walk away from the project, leaving all the construction work to the unlicensed person, and not even bothering to inspect the work to assure yourself that the work complies with codes and professional standards of workmanship? If that is your question, then re-read the answers given above. And if your boss is pressuring you into accepting this situation, then I urge you to report your boss to the licensing authority.

However, if you pull the permit, and are involved in pre-job briefings, and monitor the progress of the installation, and are free to inspect and reject unsatisfactory work, then you would be doing what your license requires of you. Bottom line: Don?t involve your license without also involving your brain.

G

Here's what the California Contractors State License Board says. In summary if you are the license holder for a company you have to supervise the operations & the jobs:

Responsibility of Qualifying Individual:

?7068.1. The person qualifying on behalf of an individual or firm under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of subdivision (b) of Section 7068 shall be responsible for exercising that direct supervision and control of his or her employer?s or principal?s construction operations as is necessary to secure full compliance with the provisions of this chapter and the rules and regulations of the board relating to the construction operations. <big snip>

The board shall require every applicant or licensee qualifying by the appearance of a qualifying individual to submit detailed information on the qualifying individual?s duties and responsibilities for supervision and control of the applicant?s construction operations. <snip>
In California a license holder can appoint somebody to act as their agent to pull a permit on their behalf, but one cannot as a license holder pull a permit on behalf of somebody else who is unlicensed. The license holder must control the job that the permit is pulled for. A license holder can't go around pulling permits alacarte for cash.

[ November 11, 2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I think Roger hit it on the head.

In Minnesota anyone can be a "licensed" Electrical Contractor (no training required) if you show proof of business insurance, bond and that a Master Electrician is in your employ and that the Master's license is the one of record for the Electrical Contractor.

If you quit, Mitchell, will it be hard for your boss to find another person with a Master License? My guess is that you and your license are the key for the continued existence of your boss' company. That is worth more than an hourly salary.

G

Then it would seem that wages would be in order, plus a monthly license fee of a few hundred bucks (or more). It's whatever the traffic will bear. The more the merrier :)

jimwalker

We have that problem here in Tampa FL. as well as in most counties if not all.The master might only be an employe ,and often we have masters that are quilifying jobs all over the state and never even see the building,let alone the work.There is no way the master can oversee the work of 200 men,and there is no requirement to even have a journeyman on a job.

pierre

Mitchell
With your license, you can go into business tomorrow. :D Your boss on the other hand can have all the money in the world, but cannot go into business without you or someone like you ;) :cool:

Be very careful, because it is your name and license on the mark. I would hire an attorney to make sure you are protected, this can have very lasting repercussions.
Good Luck

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.