Chasing a ground fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonbkw

Hello. Going to be doing some troubleshooting on a brand new service this week and I'm looking for some insight. Here are the specs.

We installed an 800 amp 480 volt 3 wire ungrounded service, due to POCO only having 2 primary lines on the pole and using an open delta config. Service disconnect is a 800 amp main in an 84" I-Line panel with no neutral bar. Grounding system consists of Ufer, 2 rods, building steel, and 50 feet of bare 2/0 in a trench. Ground system resistance tested at 1.9 ohms.

There are currently only 3 breakers being utilized in the 480 volt I-Line panel.

The first is a 400 amp feeder to a 225 kva 480 delta to 120/208 wye transformer to feed a second I-Line panel which serves as a MDP for most of the existing loads.

The second is a 40 amp feeder to a 30kva 480 delta to 120/240 delta transformer to feed a QO panel for a few pieces of equipment that wouldn't tolerate 208.

The third is a 20 amp branch circuit to the required ground fault detection unit which is a UL listed manufactured box with 3 light bulbs.

Ok here is the confusing part. On the day of POCO transfer from the old service to the new, we hooked up a rented 65kva generator to the 480 volt service panel thru a spare 100 amp breaker, while having the main LOTO'ed for POCO safety. After making a few last minute connections we had the entire facitily on generator power. Of course all production was halted for the day but the front office was able to remain open. Mission accomplished, or so we thought. Upon POCO's completion of work we successfully transferred load back off generator and onto utility and started to wrap up for the day. I switched on the ground fault monitor and it showed a fault on phase A! I verified with a meter and had 480v B-g, 480v C-g, and 20v A-g. Very strange.

It was quitting time at the plant and they don't mess around. We are essentially booted out the door at 5 o clock. The only thing I got to check was for a ground fault in the monitor itself due to a blown and shorted bulb or something along those lines, but the voltages remained the same with that breaker turned off.

What I don't understand is if there is a ground fault in my equipment why didn't the generator breaker trip? We were operating with a solidly connected EGC from gen to panel. Amps were around 30 on all 3 legs on gen power.

Doesn't add up, unless the fault is on POCO side. I really could not see from the ground that they had intentionally corner grounded the delta, but they did have a 4th wire run from their MGN to the CT cabinet. There is also a small device with 4 wires on the pole under the transformer bank. Reminds me of a small round SPD like you would see hanging off of a panel. 3 black wires connected to the 3 phases and a green to the MGN.

I do plan to megger both of my transformers and their feeders before I call the POCO engineer and try to fight it out with him.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

JFletcher

To my understanding, a 480 V ungrounded Delta becomes a 480v grounded Delta with the first ground fault. Ungrounded Delta systems are used in some industrial applications where a single ground-fault will not shut down the system... nor the generator.

Also to my limited understanding of these systems, 480 volts ungrounded is quite uncommon now from the Poco. Are you sure you did not get a 480 volt Corner grounded service from them?

rlundsrud

Swap the A phase with any other phase at the first point after your main disconnect and see if the ground fault moves with that change. If it does then it's on the POCO side.

MyCleveland

Please post when you find your issue.
Never involved with this system type.
A few questions.
You mentioned the upgrade, was prior service open delta 3p or simple 120/240-1p ?

You understand capacity limitations on this type of system.
If the cans on pole have labels, add up the two valves and x 0.87 = total kvA.

I assume you checked the obvious things like for a MBJ in the MDP or the CT cabinet? Are you sure the generator was set up as a grounded system? I wonder if the utility goofed and made it corner grounded as you conjectured. If a utility has an MGN system, they would need "oddball" two bushing transformers to serve an ungrounded system. Where they two bushing?

neonbkw

Thank you for the great suggestions. I'll be stopping in there sometime today so hopefully we can get a resolution. To answer some of your questions...

The old service was 240/120 4 wire open delta, which is very common around here. I've only seen 120/208 from POCO a handful of times in 15 years.

POCO was aware we were providing an ungrounded service although miscommunication is a major unknown. Suppose I had grounded B phase and they grounded A phase and then threw the switch!!

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the inside of the CT cabinet to visually check anything in there.

I was assuming the rental generator was a grounded system just because, why wouldn't it be? But I did not have a reason to check at the time, and its been returned now so that's of no help.

Anyway thanks again for the intelligence represented here. I do not post much, but read a few times a week and always learn something.

At this point I would be happy if it was as simple as a skinned wire on my part, as I hate being caught in the middle of something I have little control over.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The ground fault detector lights are not measuring ground fault current, but rather voltage between the phases and ground.

It is possible that you have a high impedance ground fault; with a grounded wye source feeding your system the phase to ground voltage was stabilized at normal values. Once you switched over to the ungrounded source the fault was enough to change the phase/ground voltages and light the lamps.

Question: given the loads you describe, why an ungrounded system rather than a corner grounded system?

-Jon

kwired

Electron manager
I assume you checked the obvious things like for a MBJ in the MDP or the CT cabinet? Are you sure the generator was set up as a grounded system? I wonder if the utility goofed and made it corner grounded as you conjectured. If a utility has an MGN system, they would need "oddball" two bushing transformers to serve an ungrounded system. Where they two bushing?
Primary side can still have single bushing transformers. All depends on if any of the secondary conductors get bonded to determine if you have a grounded or ungrounded system.

I too question why an ungrounded system was selected? This is usually only desired if you want fault indication and time for an orderly shut down of a critical process rather then immediate shut down when a fault occurs.

Seems there may be a good chance the utility did corner ground the system.

neonbkw

As to the choice to go ungrounded, I'm not entirely sure. Above my paygrade, but there will be a couple CNC type machines and some production line style of equipment getting installed as the next part of the work. My job is just to give them what they want.

Got a chance to isolate different parts of the system today. Almost 100% sure the problem is on the utility side as even opening the main did not show a change in voltages. I have a call into the power quality dept of the POCO after getting the cold shoulder from the engineer with whom we worked on this upgrade. Said he had no idea what voltages we were to be seeing on our end. To say the least, I'm not looking forward to going down this rabbit hole.

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
Electric Utility Reliability Coordinator
Upon POCO's completion of work we successfully transferred load back off generator and onto utility and started to wrap up for the day. I switched on the ground fault monitor and it showed a fault on phase A! I verified with a meter and had 480v B-g, 480v C-g, and 20v A-g. Very strange.

I think we all agree that if you have three good P-P voltages and the monitor shows the P-G voltages you described, then one leg is grounded somewhere.
I don't see any new ungrounded 480 around here. HRG is the way to control P-G faults, from what I have seen. If the POCO has two transformers on the pole, you can usually see their grounding conductor attached to one of the leads leaving the transformer if they build corner ground. If you can see that connection, then you have corner grounded 480 volt delta secondary. The 20 volts on A leg is a red herring I think. If you use a DMM in a panel, that leg will probably measure 0 on P-G.

kwired

Electron manager
Upon POCO's completion of work we successfully transferred load back off generator and onto utility and started to wrap up for the day. I switched on the ground fault monitor and it showed a fault on phase A! I verified with a meter and had 480v B-g, 480v C-g, and 20v A-g. Very strange.

I think we all agree that if you have three good P-P voltages and the monitor shows the P-G voltages you described, then one leg is grounded somewhere.
I don't see any new ungrounded 480 around here. HRG is the way to control P-G faults, from what I have seen. If the POCO has two transformers on the pole, you can usually see their grounding conductor attached to one of the leads leaving the transformer if they build corner ground. If you can see that connection, then you have corner grounded 480 volt delta secondary. The 20 volts on A leg is a red herring I think. If you use a DMM in a panel, that leg will probably measure 0 on P-G.
20 volts is whatever voltage drop is in the return path.

JFletcher

I know jraef and others know a lot more about this than I do but I seem to recall that CNC machines, or anything using a vfd may not be too happy without a neutral.... again, my limited understanding of these systems makes me believe that a 277 / 480V Wye may have been the way to go versus either a grounded or ungrounded Delta system.

kwired

Electron manager
I know jraef and others know a lot more about this than I do but I seem to recall that CNC machines, or anything using a vfd may not be too happy without a neutral.... again, my limited understanding of these systems makes me believe that a 277 / 480V Wye may have been the way to go versus either a grounded or ungrounded Delta system.

Surge protection on the front end of the drive is usually set up for clamping nominal 277 volts to ground is usually the main issue. It doesn't need a neutral but will try to clamp voltages over 277 nominal to ground and with a continuous 480 to ground will burn out the surge protection device.

Bugman1400

I'm not sure there is a ground fault on A-phase. Seems like the voltage would read 0V for a substantial ground. Only a balanced 3-phase load would show equal voltages on an ungrounded system. How do you know its not just heavy single-phase loading on A-phase? I think the biggest piece of info that we needed was the currents.

wirenut1980

The utility could have corner grounded the transformer, or possibly a phase is grounded on a voltage transformer for metering, or there is a phase grounded in the utility revenue meter itself. Someone in power quality at the utility is probably your best bet to getting this resolved.

Ingenieur

no issues on the genset

measured 480/480/20 on the input with the main open

has to be the util arrangement (metering, etc) or the service feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.