Cheaper alternative wallpacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

I just priced some 175 and 70watt metal halide wallpaks and they are ridiculously expensive. :jawdrop:

These were of course well known brands such as Cooper, Lithonia, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good off brand wallpack that is cheaper?

kbsparky

You can start here.

URL]

hurk27

I have been buying RUUD fixtures for over 15 years, when you deal directly with RUUD or order online, you can get them much lower cost then most others from supply houses, and they ship fast!!

I just had to replace quite a few RAB's for a very large junkyard and their trucking company, they lasted only two years or less, the heat from the lamp goes right up into the ballast and other components, with the amount of light I get out of the RUUD wall pack's I was able to reduce the wattage of some fixtures.

Here is the main reasons I use RUUD:

1. Any contractor can order directly from them and in many cases get the products the next day (they are in Racine Wisconsin) but they do ship fast, many times they are priced lower then cheaper fixtures are from a supply house, and they bend over backward to make sure you and your customers are happy.

2. Their wall packs are the easiest fixture to hang, they come with a small wiring box/plate you mount on the wall, it has 4 entries top, back, left or right, that once you have mounted it, it has two screws sticking out that you just hang the light on, level it tighten, and wire it and put the back cover (which has a seal) on, hang the front cover on and your done, no holding the fixture while trying to get your screws into a wall or wire it, so simple I can do them off a ladder without a sweat ( nothing like trying to hole a 400 watt wall pack up) while trying to get your screws in or wiring the fixture to an existing box while holding the fixture, install one of RUUDs wall packs and you will never want to hang any other brand.

3. The design of them is second to none, they have separate compartments for the ballast and components and the lamps, this keeps the heat from the lamps from the ballast and components, the front cover has a very good seal that never gets water or bugs in them, and the glass refractors never turn yellow or discolor.

all their fixtures include lamps, also the shortest time I had to replace lamps was 6 years, I have some that have been in use over 9 years and still on the original lamps, I have yet to replace a ballast or other components in one like igniter's or caps, I think the reason is the design of separate compartments I mentioned in #3

Also RUUD and Econo-Line are in the same building, the same operators answer the phone for both numbers, so when I need lamps I order from E-conoLight but get the fixtures from RUUD and my round backs from E-conoLight as well as a few other fixtures that E-conolight has.

here is RUUDs web site where you can sign up for a account so you can see the prices, or just call the 800 number.

Here are the wall packs I mainly use: http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/security/glass-refractor-wall-pack

And here is E-conoLight Web site which you don't need an account as anyone can order from them.

Also check out their lamp prices: http://www.e-conolight.com/lamps.html

No I don't have an interest in RUUD or E-conolight, just passing along a great source for fixtures or lamps after years of frustration with other suppliers and sources,

Last edited:

hurk27

Just thought I post a couple photos of a couple RUUD wall packs I have just installed and a couple 1kw floods on some pole barns for a trucking Maintenance company, they also own junk yards and monster trucks, some are very well known like Carolina Crusher, Bear Foot, Monster Patrol, and 20 something others, I have been installing a bunch of lights for them for the last two weeks many are 1kw floods, great person to work for.

PaulsLights016.jpg

PaulsLights017.jpg

PaulsLights018.jpg

PaulsLights012.jpg

PaulsLights011.jpg

PaulsLights006.jpg

This one is the middle between the two non working RAB 400 watt (burned up ballast) but needed more throw with the light so I installed a 1kw flood:
PaulsAutoyard002.jpg

And this one lights up way out in the yard:
PaulsAutoyard004.jpg

Here is a link to a photo of the inside of the barns with the two 1kw floods on the IMC pipe, the horizontal purloins are 2"x6" and you can get two straps in each along with a lag and fender washer at the base of the pipe to prevent it from slipping down, along with some roof flashing makes for a low cost install for 2" fitter fixtures:

Carolina Crusher
Scroll down to the second photo

I wish I had other photos of the trucks but cameras in the buildings are off limits.

Last edited:

TNBaer

If cheap is your thing, E-conoLight is the way to go. I am, however, a huge RAB fan. I've been buying their LED wallpacks recently and have been very happy with them. The price point is good and the fact they are competively priced while being USA and Union made is a good testament.

Electron_Sam78

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the replies. I'll present the options to my customer and see if he wants to go for a better quality and higher price or lesser quality and cheaper price.

JES2727

If you can get them in straight 120V rather than multi-tap you'll save a bundle. If your utilization voltage is something other than 120V then forget I said anything.

kwired

Electron manager
Econolight is a division of Ruud. Ruud has somewhat recently become a part of CREE

Econolight luminaires are almost identical in many ways to other major brands. Middle man suppliers not taking their cut is main reason for lower pricing.

Biggest problem I have had with them is usually the lamp they are shipped with is not very good and will need replaced sooner than whatever you replace it with does.

bullheimer

on a church i did they didn't want me to replace all the outside lights just four. they had about 10. so they replaced them themselves. they bought the ones i replaced from Lowegie's. They were cheap. They were CFLs. they installed easily and i was amazed at how bright they were. i believe they were lithonia's as well, but don't quote me on that. they were wallpaks. yeah they were made in china. they are getting better. i still wont warranty them, but they seem to be a great lite for the price, which i think was less than an RAB. and btw, the last RAB lite i put up was made in china and was a total pos. (70W HPS wallpak) and right at $100 from a supply house. (but on my customers acct).

kwired

Electron manager
on a church i did they didn't want me to replace all the outside lights just four. they had about 10. so they replaced them themselves. they bought the ones i replaced from Lowegie's. They were cheap. They were CFLs. they installed easily and i was amazed at how bright they were. i believe they were lithonia's as well, but don't quote me on that. they were wallpaks. yeah they were made in china. they are getting better. i still wont warranty them, but they seem to be a great lite for the price, which i think was less than an RAB. and btw, the last RAB lite i put up was made in china and was a total pos. (70W HPS wallpak) and right at $100 from a supply house. (but on my customers acct).

Unless it has glass lens most 70W HPS wall packs are almost identical and are somewhat POS compared to ones with glass lens. They are about $48.00 from Econolight and are fairly similar quality as any others I have seen.

mtfallsmikey

Just mentioned over in the LED replacement thread about my next "project", replacing Ruud HID's w/ RAB WPLED26's. The Ruud fixtures have one of the leads going thru the lamp shield, that's where they have been shorting out, plus the cost of M139/E bulbs is beyond ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.