Cherry kitchen cabinetry needs touch up refinishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Builder
We recently purchased a 10-year-old home with a kitchen that has solid cherry cabinets. I'm told the cabinetry is quite expensive and the natural finish is due to the exposure of light on the cherry over time, meaning the cabinets were darker when they were first finished. Over time, the finish has worn away on some cabinets that are closest to the sink and were exposed to repeated moisture or wear.

What is the best way to go about touching up these cabinets? I tried Howard's Natural Restore a Finish and it darkened the wood significantly (shown in the second picture towards the bottom of the cabinet face). Should I just apply a clear coat of poly on the bare areas and expose the cabinet to sunlight to lighten that area?

quickly?

Occupation
Builder
We recently purchased a 10-year-old home with a kitchen that has solid cherry cabinets. I'm told the cabinetry is quite expensive and the natural finish is due to the exposure of light on the cherry over time, meaning the cabinets were darker when they were first finished. Over time, the finish has worn away on some cabinets that are closest to the sink and were exposed to repeated moisture or wear.

What is the best way to go about touching up these cabinets? I tried Howard's Natural Restore a Finish and it darkened the wood significantly (shown in the second picture towards the bottom of the cabinet face). Should I just apply a clear coat of poly on the bare areas and expose the cabinet to sunlight to lighten that area?

quickly?
thanks in advance for any help

Status
Not open for further replies.