Chicago Fire Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about Chicago, but pull stations and horn strobes are always required here whether the building has sprinklers or not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
adrian33773 said:
Is it true that romex is not allowed in Chicago, even for residential?

I think that only conduit is allowed in residential. No AC or MC cable either.

DHkorn

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago. Pull stations in high rises are not only not required they are prohibited, if the system is required. With exceptions if the occupancy is a day care or a school in a high rise.
Romex is allowed. But the conditions are so limited as to make it unusable.

bwyllie

Dhkorn, thanks for the response, do you know what code I can find that in? I am performing a building evaluation in chicago and can't find the code section.

DHkorn

I'm at home now so I dont have my books in front of me for the numbers, but it's in the fire codes section of the general building code (try section 15 I think).
I've done a very few installations where an insurance company required pull stations. They were allowed there because the buildings were considered pre-ordinance so not subject to the high rise act (1974).
The argument is that pull stations were the cause of most false alarms. When they eliminated the false alarms they could respond to fire alarms with the whole army instead of wasting time sending a batalion chief out to verify a fire. At least thats what I heard. Either way, it's enforced.

DHkorn

Those chapter numbers

Those chapter numbers

Back in the office now.
The high rise act Chapter 13-76.
Class 1 fire alarms (schools) 9(15-16) part 4.
Standard fire alarms 9(15-16) part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.