child proof recepts being required!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every residence will require child proof recepts? That is going to cost a pretty penny--one that can't be swallowed. I guess it will be passed on, but what about GFI receptacles? What about the cost? my supply house sells tamper resistant receptacles at around $3 a pop. That is much more than $.42 for a spec grade P&S receptacle. Where does NEMA get data that the cost is +$.50. Is my supply house out of whack for pricing?

It really should be left as an option to the HO.

Good scheme by the manufacturers to sell a higher cost product under the rouse of a mandatory code requirement--I mean concern for child safety. Of course corporations care for safety, not profit! Give me a break. That's as full of holes as their AFCI scam. If the manufacturers cared for safety, they would have the AFCIs monitor series faults, not just the easier line to line or line to ground scenario.

This is a good idea, provided they can sell them for as cheap as a standard receptacle is in today's market, but something tells me they won't if the change goes through.

18-40 Log #1944 NEC-P18 Final Action: Accept
(406.11 (New) )
406.11 Tamper Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units. In all areas specified
in 210.52, all 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper
resistant receptacles.
Substantiation: 210.52 specifies the areas in dwelling units where receptacles
shall be installed. This proposal references those areas.
Note: Supporting material is available for review at NFPA Headquarters.
Panel Meeting Action: Accept
Panel Statement: The panel is concerned about the possible increased
insertion force required for our aging population. The panel requests data
concerning the amount of force necessary to insert a plug into the shutter and
the amount of force necessary to fully insert a plug into a tamper-resistant
receptacle.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11 Negative: 1
Explanation of Negative:
WALL, C.: The submitter of the proposal has provided much data to identify
an issue with small children in dwellings and a proposed cost to implement a
solution. However, the submitter of the proposal has not provided sufficient
technical substantiation to mandate or justify the installation and use of
tamper resistant receptacles throughout all dwellings for all cases and in all
circumstances. Many dwellings do not contain small children and may only
be inhabited by adults, older children, the elderly or adults with physical
impediments. Also, there was no evidence provided that the operation of these
devices will not or cannot be circumvented by small children. The submitter
has not provided a fact-finding report showing the potential reductions of
the injuries with the implementation of the proposed solution of having all
dwelling unit receptacles as tamper resistant.
The submitter’s proposal will also mandate future installations of GFCIs and
AFCIs as tamper resistant. The submitter provided no evidence that the use
of the current protective devices such as GFCIs and AFCIs has proven totally
unreliable in all cases and where they may have been historically installed or
used. The submitter did present some anecdotal evidence that receptacle caps
could be removed by small children. However, this evidence does not discount
the use or effectiveness of receptacle caps in dwellings with small children.
We support the equipment device manufacturers producing tamper resistant
receptacles with only a $0.50 premium over standard receptacles. We believe
this first step by the device manufacturers to reduce the cost will be a giant
step in the use of those devices for future occupancies. However, each dwelling
owner needs to have the ability to decide if these devices are appropriate
for their circumstances and provide their desired protection. But, there is no
justification for such a broad, all encompassing mandate of tamper resistant
devices in all dwelling occupancies.
Comment on Affirmative:
COSTELLO, P.: This proposal addresses a long recognized problem in
dwelling units. While concerns may come up as to the need for installing
tamper resistant receptacles on areas such as fixed appliances, refrigerators,
sump pumps and washers, the additional safety that would be there when these
plugs are not in use would outweigh the advantages of allowing for exceptions
not requiring them.
KEMPEL, K.: The Panel Statement does not reflect the fact that the Panel
considered limiting the locations where tamper resistant receptacles are
required. It considered locations such as the receptacle for the refrigerator,
above stove for a microwave, above kitchen counters, in garages and outdoor
locations. Limitations were not included to avoid potential installation errors
and the minimal cost difference (based on the info in the substantiation).
LARSON, S.: The panel’s deliberation of this issue would benefit from
an accurate cost comparison between the standard and tamper-resistant type
receptacles manufactured for home use. Also, the panel should clarify that
this provision is invoked for new home construction only, and is not intended
to be applicable to new work in existing homes, nor to existing homes put
on the market for resale. If this is not the case, the panel should make this
clarification.
OWENS, T.: The concern that I have with this proposal is the availability
of tamper resistant GFCI receptacles. My understanding is that there are none
currently available and it is not known whether they will become available
prior to adoption of the Code. In most cases, this requirement can be met using
GFCI circuit breakers. However, in receptacle replacement conditions, a circuit
breaker may not be workable (i.e., a multi-wire branch circuit). This would
create a possible conflict within the Code where a receptacle may be required
to be both GFCI protected and tamper resistant. I think that this proposal
needs to be revisited during the comment stage to ensure that no conflicts or
unworkable situations are created.

Last edited:

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
I don't see what the big deal is, I only stuck something in one ONCE when I was a kid and I came out just fine... :grin:

...that's just the lead paint chips blurring your perception :wink:

mshields

tamper proof plugs in residential market

tamper proof plugs in residential market

The residential market is entirely driven by code. If it's not a code violation, don't even try to bring it up as a safety issue you feel is important. Cost rules completely. I know this is also true in other markets but no where is it more true than in condo's, houses, apt's, etc.

I like this proposal. The cost per resident is negligeable and mandating means that the housing development accross town will have to compete on the same playing field.

It can and will save lives.

Mike

Bob NH

mshields said:
The residential market is entirely driven by code. If it's not a code violation, don't even try to bring it up as a safety issue you feel is important. Cost rules completely. I know this is also true in other markets but no where is it more true than in condo's, houses, apt's, etc.

I like this proposal. The cost per resident is negligeable and mandating means that the housing development accross town will have to compete on the same playing field.

It can and will save lives.

Mike
So where is the data on lives lost due to tampering with receptacles?

50 outlets per house x $2 per outlet x 2.0 markup by electricians = $200 per house.

1.7 million housing starts in 2005 x $200 per house = $340 million per year tax on citizens.

A tax not passed by our legislature.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
mshields said:
The residential market is entirely driven by code.
For small tract homes that scrape bottom, perhaps. Larger custom homes usually fly far and above the NEC in design and safety considerations. That's a pretty broad statement, IMO. :)

I'm sure the happily-childless couple building their million-dollar dream home that they've been saving for their whole lives are going to be thrilled that they have to install tamper-resistant receptacles in their home, instead of the chic new receptacles on the market today they originally had in mind.

Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this proposed requirement is not for the manufacturer's pocketbook, I am a "monkeys uncle" (an old saying).
I have worked in and inspected many homes where there are no children. If this is such a national problem, a law should be developed that says a family moving into the home has to install these devices. It should not be mandated by an electrical code.
This one really peeves me off!!!...along with some of the other "nonmoneymakingmanufacturerproposedandacceptedproposalrequirements".

I would be willing to bet that the injuries from kids running through glass sliding doors are more grave and maybe just as many...I do not see any building codes for this... how about people falling down stairs...should we stop putting second stories on homes...

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Stick a fork in it--it's done

Stick a fork in it--it's done

How many people do you know who know someone or even heard of someone who has died from sticking a fork or whatever into an outlet. I sure one of you will say they had.

celtic

Pierre C Belarge said:
If this is such a national problem, a law should be developed that says a family moving into the home has to install these devices. It should not be mandated by an electrical code.

Much like the window guard requirements....which generally fall under Housing laws (not building) in LL/T situations.

Maybe we should just do away with electricity and go back to living in caves and tents :rolleyes:

Tori

I whole heartedly agree , this is what I was speaking of when I was talking about the code is not only about safety - where did manufacturers get such a say ??
Is the Code board in their pocket ?

Pierre C Belarge said:
If this proposed requirement is not for the manufacturer's pocketbook, I am a "monkeys uncle" (an old saying).
I have worked in and inspected many homes where there are no children. If this is such a national problem, a law should be developed that says a family moving into the home has to install these devices. It should not be mandated by an electrical code.
This one really peeves me off!!!...along with some of the other "nonmoneymakingmanufacturerproposedandacceptedproposalrequirements".

I would be willing to bet that the injuries from kids running through glass sliding doors are more grave and maybe just as many...I do not see any building codes for this... how about people falling down stairs...should we stop putting second stories on homes...

ron

I'm sure if I asked my Mom, she would say that she knew someone that stuck a object in a receptacle and was killed.
Keep in mind that my Mom also knows a "kid" for just about every situation ..... running with scissors, frozen faces from making a weird contortion of the face, bad luck from walking under ladders, etc, etc. :)
I agree, it seems silly. If this proposal is not accepted, maybe next cycle they will require receptacles to be mounted >4' AFF so to make sure small kids don't put stuff into the receptacle.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ron said:
I'm sure if I asked my Mom, she would say that she knew someone that stuck a object in a receptacle and was killed.
Keep in mind that my Mom also knows a "kid" for just about every situation ..... running with scissors, frozen faces from making a weird contortion of the face, bad luck from walking under ladders, etc, etc. :)
I agree, it seems silly. If this proposal is not accepted, maybe next cycle they will require receptacles to be mounted >4' AFF so to make sure small kids don't put stuff into the receptacle.

Ron, LMAO.

I think you have touched on a real issue that we should not make light of though.

frozen faces from making a weird contortion of the face

I know this can happen (I think you have to be slapped on the back at the same time you're making the face though) because I went to school with this real ugly kid that had to have had this happen to him, and I also saw it on a movie once. :grin:

Roger

I don't know.

When I was a kid, I stuck a nail in a recept, nothing happened. I then stuck it in the other side, got quite a surprise. The next day I went to the library wanting to find out what happened and why. This is why I do what I do today.

Had that been a tamper proof recept, I don't have a clue, what I would be working at today. I could have been killed, but instead, it steered me into a field that I enjoy very much.
I don't suggest that kids find out the way I did, but I think it was worth it, in my case.

peter d

What's going to come in the next code cycle? Rigid conduit required for all dwelling unit circuits?? :rolleyes:

BTW A tamper proof recept is around $3-5 here wholesale.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
FNCnca said:
I don't know.

When I was a kid, I stuck a nail in a recept, nothing happened. I then stuck it in the other side, got quite a surprise. The next day I went to the library wanting to find out what happened and why. This is why I do what I do today.

Dittos, except I stuck the wires from a small DC motor into a receptacle. I was 6 or 7 when it happened, and I'm pretty sure I could have tampered with that tamper-proof receptacle. Supposedly I once started my father's car and backed it out of the driveway when I was 4. I was precocious ...

What's the scenario they are trying to protect against? A 5 or 6 year old kid can watch Mommy or Daddy slide the whatever gadget needed to insert a plug. Prolly even 4 year olds are that observant.

So, we're talking about ages 2 and 3. I don't hear about a lot of 2 or 3 year olds dying from sticking a fork in an outlet.

ron

I would think that since the current code requirements for tamper resistance is only for hospitals (pediatric), if the code change happens, the receptacle manufacturers will have the opportunity to make the stuff cheaper without the same "hospital" characteristics.
Current TR products are expensive due to the application ... hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.