Chime Transformer Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrestless

Can anyone help me with this, I live in N.C. seems that most of the electricians in the area
I am from ,are locating the Chime transformer behind the chime in a 2- gang plastic box
with no divider. Is there a location in the NEC that states you can install a chime transformer behind a chime rendering inaccessible as well as having high and low voltage conductors occupying the same enclosure. not to mention that on some of the applications I have seen the transformer has no ground except if you attach it to a metal enclosure. Anyway I got grief from a builder who wants to know why I installed it in the garage mounted on a metal plate mounted to a gem box, he says that's not how my last electrician used to do it. And the local inspectors have no problem with it

Occupation
Inspector
Can anyone help me with this, I live in N.C. seems that most of the electricians in the area
I am from ,are locating the Chime transformer behind the chime in a 2- gang plastic box
with no divider. Is there a location in the NEC that states you can install a chime transformer behind a chime rendering inaccessible as well as having high and low voltage conductors occupying the same enclosure. not to mention that on some of the applications I have seen the transformer has no ground except if you attach it to a metal enclosure. Anyway I got grief from a builder who wants to know why I installed it in the garage mounted on a metal plate mounted to a gem box, he says that's not how my last electrician used to do it. And the local inspectors have no problem with it

I have seen this done as well and I have at least one problem with this type of set and that is heat buildup. I'll try to find a Code Article for you.

raider1

Staff member
725.136(D) permits power conductors and class 2 or 3 circuits conductors to be in the same enclosure provided that the power is introduced solely to connect the equipment connected to Class 2 and Class 3 circuits.

As far as the ventiliation requirements that would be part of the transformers installation instructions.

Chris

splinetto

Around here we have basement and we usually mount the transfomer on a metal Pull Chain box in an unfinished area and in apartment we hide them in the furnace closet....Does anyone else have a place they like to put them?

Jim W in Tampa

I have seen the two-gang box trick before, but I'm not a fan.

I have always put them on a octagonal box for the attic light.

Did you read instructions ? not suitable in attics.
you can put behind chime. I suggest metal 4 x4 with exstention ring. Seperation issue up to ahj. Most let you alone if no splice in box.

e57

I use an RBS-16 with a 2G ring (the transformer behind that), next to a 4S for a set of recpts or blank. The result can be two 2G plates next to each other - and pretty clean - easy access.

As for the method in the OP - [snear]stuffing it into a 2G nail-on.... [/snear]

480sparky

My SOP is to stick them on the handibox used for the disconnect (SP switch) for the furnace. It'll never get buried there, and won't need to be moved when the basement is finished.

The only time I'll put them right on the panel itself is when the panel doesn't stand a chance of getting covered up in a basement finish.

ceb58

I have seen them in the crawl space on the requried recpt. next to air handlers, in attics and on furnace recpt. If the location you mounted it doesnt look like crap, is code compliant and passes inspection then so what. I have had contractors tell me the same thing on items. Like " my last electrician would just feed romex in that flex pipe to the HVAC condensers. He didn't bother with using that wire on spools" Well your last elect. was wrong and the inspector didn't do his job. which is probably why the elect. did it wrong because he knew the inspector wouldn't look.

Status
Not open for further replies.