Chiropractors office

Status
Not open for further replies.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does a chiropractors office come under the definition of Art. 517.2 ?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I would sure think they do. Patients are being treated by a health care professional. If a psychiatric treatment room is a health care facility, a chiropractic treatment room would certainly be one.

Health Care Facilities. Buildings, portions of buildings, or
mobile enclosures in which human medical, dental, psychiatric,
nursing, obstetrical, or surgical care are provided. [99:3.3.67]
Informational Note: Examples of health care facilities include,
but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes, limited care
facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and ambulatory
care centers, whether permanent or movable.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
If they use diagnostic equipment and tools (on mains power) that make contact with the patient's body, then absolutely yes. I've never been to a chiropractor so I wouldn't know!

kwired

Electron manager
I think it depends on the type of procedures that will be performed, is not directly covered in NEC. If they are connecting equipment to you the chances of needing to comply with 517 increases dramatically IMO.

I have been to mental health professionals where all we did was sit in an office setting and talk, no need for fulfilling art 517 requirements in such a situation IMO. But if they do perform any invasive treatments, the medical licensing codes probably also require them to do such in a treatment room that likely will also need to comply with NEC 517.

Many Chiropractor procedures are not invasive or use invasive equipment, some however are. Some do have medical imaging equipment to determine what may be going on, and depending on what they find they may treat you or they may refer you to someone else equipped to treat whatever they have found.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Many Chiropractor procedures are not invasive or use invasive equipment,
Which does not determine or define "Health Care Facility", see post #2, packersparky included the NEC definition of "Health Care Facility". Whether your area enforces the definition or not does not change the definition.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Which does not determine or define "Health Care Facility", see post #2, packersparky included the NEC definition of "Health Care Facility". Whether your area enforces the definition or not does not change the definition.

Roger

You might be right, couple other questions though.

Many "drug stores" offer flu shots anymore - article 517 apply?

Blood drives show up around here and set up donation activities in about any place you can imagine - but mostly in community centers or other similar spaces - article 517 apply? Some those places are already art. 518 places, but that don't matter to this discussion.

I might be able to come up with a few more questionable health care areas.

kwired

Electron manager
How about massage rooms? Health care? Some massage therapy is simply pleasure, some is to help with health issues.

"Taping room" at an athletic facility?

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So I would say, if a chiropractor is using his hands for manipulation, then this does not require HFC cable, but if there is electrical stimulation then all bets are off.
To my knowledge there is no x-ray machine in this proposed office.
So does a barber or hair stylist who uses electric clippers come under HFC cable?
Not to get off topic on barber comment.
I would think the nec should be more specific in there definition of health care facility.
I may have answered my own question.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
So I would say, if a chiropractor is using his hands for manipulation, then this does not require HFC cable, but if there is electrical stimulation then all bets are off.
To my knowledge there is no x-ray machine in this proposed office.
So does a barber or hair stylist who uses electric clippers come under HFC cable?
Not to get off topic on barber comment.
I would think the nec should be more specific in there definition of health care facility.
I may have answered my own question.

I would ask your AHJ, but around here chiropractic treatment rooms are definitely considered health care.

A barber or hair stylist is not a health care professional.

kwired

Electron manager
Barber/hair stylist, I can see not being considered health care.

Tattoo shop? I'm sure they generally aren't considered to be health care, but poor practices here can be bigger health hazard than some procedures that are considered health care.

Status
Not open for further replies.