Church Restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Just checking to see if I missed any thing. Church remodel. They are going to make a new restroom out of a good size storage room. The existing panel for the church is in this room. I am going to upgrade the service and install new 200A panel. It looks like by 240.24E I am good to keep it in this room. The church has overhead service and there would be great expense in trying to relocate it.

iwire

Staff member
The service disconnecting means can not be located in a bathroom. If you have a main before this panel I think your good to go.

ceb58

The service disconnecting means can not be located in a bathroom. If you have a main before this panel I think your good to go.

Not a problem. Going to set meter/ 8 space combo on out side of building. Easier to feed HVAC and HWH underneath building.

guschash

Iwire, you mean that the panel and circuit breakers are be in the bathroom but you can not have the service disconnect in the bathroom. I alway thought you could not either of them. Thanks for information.

iwire

Staff member
Iwire, you mean that the panel and circuit breakers are be in the bathroom but you can not have the service disconnect in the bathroom. I alway thought you could not either of them. Thanks for information.

Correct.

230.70(A)(2) prohibits service disconnects from being installed in any bathroom.

240.24(E) prohibits overcurrent devices from being located in bathrooms of dwelling units, guest rooms or suites of hotels and motels.

Other than that we can locate panels in bathrooms.

drive1968

I wonder whether the church would be considered a dwelling unit if clergy lives there. At my church, the minister has an attached living quarters.

iwire

Staff member
I wonder whether the church would be considered a dwelling unit if clergy lives there. At my church, the minister has an attached living quarters.

Certainly the part that is a dwelling unit would treated as one, but the entire structure is not a dwelling unit. :smile:

ultramegabob

240.24(E) prohibits overcurrent devices from being located in bathrooms of dwelling units, guest rooms or suites of hotels and motels.

Other than that we can locate panels in bathrooms.

I believe the idea for not allowing them in dwellings is because of people taking showers and having steam condense inside of the panels causing corrosion, most commercial bathrooms this wouldnt be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.