Circuit Breaker Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

Are circuit breaker types and labels industry standards? That is, can two different companies circuit breakers that have the same designation, but are not compatable with the same equipment?

I've been running into situations lately where I've needed circuit breakers by manufacturers that no longer exist. I managed to figure out that Cuttler-Hammer makes an acceptable replacement for Bryant circuit breakers. Now I'm looking for Crouse-Hinds and I'm finding a lot of equipment made by Murry that has the same designation, e.g.: MD-A, MP-H etc.

Does this mean that those breakers are an acceptable replacement for Crouse-Hinds breakers type MD-A, MP-H, etc.?

Thanks.
-John

websparky

Re: Circuit Breaker Compatibility

Hi John,

To be safe, the replacements need to be listed as replacements for the particular panelboard in question. Either on the panelboard sticker or by the replacement manufacturer.

tonyi

Look at the Cutler "CL" breakers. Same physical format as the BR's but UL classified for a bunch of different panels, SQ-D Hom, GE, Siemens, T&B, and Crouse Hinds .

There's AFCI flavors of the "CL" breakers too.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Crouse Hinds distribution equipment was renamed back to Murray when Siemens acquired the line. Murray breakers with the same part number can be used in Crouse Hinds equipment. Crouse Hinds equipment was named Murray before it was Crouse Hinds.

Cutler-Hammer acquired the Westinghouse distribution line which included Challenger. A Cutler-Hammer BR circuit breaker is the replacement for Westinghouse (Bryant) BR circuit breakers and Challenger C breakers. If you look at a BR breaker you will notice that it has both the Westinghouse and Challenger part numbers on it.

daveselectric

While breakers from different manufacturers are interchangeable, you should follow the instruction inside the panel cover. The AHJ can site you for improper equipment installation.

david neuman

iwire

Staff member

As long as the breaker itself is UL listed and Classified for a particular panel it can be used in that panel even if that breaker is not listed on the panel cover.

It has been said on the forum before that there may be warranty issues with contractors installing classified breakers.

I have never seen any panel manufacture list a competitors breaker on the panel cover, and I doubt they ever will, kind of shooting themselves in the foot if they do. ;)

Here is the info for some T&B replacement breakers. I only chose T&B because I already had this info in my PC.

This circuit breaker is listed for use in circuit breaker enclosures and panelboards intended and marked for its use. This circuit breaker is Classified for use, where the available short circuit current is 10kA, 120/240 V ac or less, in the compatible panelboards shown in Publication No. T5651863 provided with this circuit breaker. When used as a Classified circuit breaker, do not use in equipment connected to circuits having an available system short-circuit current in excess of 10 kA, 120/240 V ac. If additional information is necessary, contact Thomas & Betts Corporation, Memphis TN.

Compatibility List for the Classified Applications Thomas & Betts Corporation

Listed Breaker TB115C - TB250C 15-50 A 120/240V

SYSTEM SUPPLY 1 Phase 3 Wire 120/240V

Max. Short Circuit Current 10kA

MURRAY

Listed Breaker MP115-MP250

Listed Panelboards

LC112DF/DS

LC236PC

LC116DF/DS

LC240PC

LC120DF/DS

JA112CW

LC220EC/PC

JA112CY

LC224EC/PC

JA224CY

LC230EC/PC

JA222CW

WESTINGHOUSE

Listed Breaker BR115-BR250

Listed Panelboards

S (6-12) C/CG/CD/CDG/R

S (8-16) C/CG/CD/CDG/R

B/N/L12 (12-24) CT/CGT

L/B10 (20-20) CT/R/C

L/B15 (30-30) CT/R/C

L/N/B20 (20-40) CT/R/C

L/N/B20 (30-40) CT/R/C

L/N/B20 (40-40) CT/R/C

WMB 10 (12-24) FN /SN/SB

WMB 20 (20-40) FN/SN/SB

GENERAL ELECTRIC

Listed Breaker THQL1115-THQL2150

Listed Panelboards

TM2010C/R

TLM612F/S/R

TM1212C/CT

TLM810F/S/R

TM1210C/R

TLM812F/S/R

TM2020C/CT/R

TM3020C/R

SIEMENS

Listed Breaker Q115-Q250

Listed Panelboards

G2020MB1100

E0612ML1125CU

G2040MB1200

W0612ML1125CU

G2440MB1200

E0812ML1225CU

G3040MB1200

W0812ML1125CU

G3030MB1200

E0816ML1125CU

W0816ML1125CU

CHALLENGER

LIsted Breaker C115-C250

Listed Panelboards

SL12 (6-12) CN/CDN/CDGN/RN

SL12 (8-16) CN/CGN/RN

SLB/SL12 (12-24) CCT/CCGT

SL/SB10 (20-20) CT/R/C

SL/SB15 (30-30) CT/R/C

SL/SLB/SB20 (20-40) CT/R/C

SL/SLB/SB20 (30-40) CT/R/C

SL/SLB/SB20 (40-40) CT/R/C

SMB 10 (12-24) FN/SN/SB

SMB 20 (20-40) FN/SN/SB

SUITABLE FOR USE IN ALL Thomas & Betts LABELED PANELS

Publication No. T5651863

DO NOT USE IN SERIES RATED SYSTEMS

Listed ?

[ October 09, 2003, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

circuit breaker compatibility

circuit breaker compatibility

Greetings - Iwire yes this is a Thread long in the tooth 10/09/03 was
your OP.

Question: Has the SD QO breaker panel, much used in many homes,
(not there bolt in style, seen in used comerical", now have
a legal replacement, MFG. by other.

I believe I have just look into a QO SD panel not to long ago and saw
such a breaker, only different was, it did not have there red trip flag.

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The only one I've heard of is another classified line from Cutler-Hammer. The CHQ type I believe. Cutler-Hammer seems to make a breaker for just about everyone between their BR, CL, and CHQ lines.

norcal

The only one I've heard of is another classified line from Cutler-Hammer. The CHQ type I believe. Cutler-Hammer seems to make a breaker for just about everyone between their BR, CL, and CHQ lines.

Siemens also makes a replacement for a SQ D QO breaker. Except for when a company has changed hands & name(s), makes the most sense to me to just use OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.