Circuit Breaker Panel in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: Circuit Breaker Panel in Bathroom

I think it's because you might not have access to the panel at times.

I think it's a bad idea because of wet people and stuff too but I might be the only guy who thinks that.

Originally posted by dirkhats:
Why would we not want to install a circuit breaker panel in a bathroom on a single family dwelling?
Water + Electricity = bad?

---
Alternately, if you think of all the humidity it would be subjected to I wouldn't be surprised if corrosion wouldn't be a concern as well...

physis

Thanks Charlie. Somehow I missed that one. It was very edifying. :D

Edit: You definately wont have access with some of those guys working there.
laughing-smiley-014.gif

[ July 28, 2005, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I don't see it as especially dangerous myself. As long as it is not in the shower enclosure.

Many panels are in basements or utility closets where there might be water in the same room.

Just having water nearby does not necessarily make for a dangerous situation IMO.

physis

I tend to think that there isn't so much of a body count because people usually rarely need to get into there load center. If they were using it as often as their bathroom receptacles I think it might be different.

I think it could be dangerous to stand in a puddle and flip breakers. Especially with wet hands. But that's just me. :)

growler

I think that it is a combination of factors that make putting a panel in the bathroom such a great risk. In what other room are you likely to be bare foot, standing on wet tile, with wet hands, blinded by a stench that would knock a buzzard of a gut wagon ( if certain people had just used the facilities after eating certain foods, Uncle Fred's chili ). Or maybe it was just to keep idiots from building a shower around it. I saw a picture of such an installation not long ago. It's important that we remove temptation.

paul

Years ago I lived in a rental that had the panel located in the bathroom. It was rather difficult to work in, because it was right next to the tub and the toilet was just behind you. It had been there for some time, as it was an old house. I went through it and everything inside looked fine. No corrosion in it. I did install a heat/fan/light in the bathroom, though.

Jhr

Posted by Growler: In what other room are you likely to be bare foot, standing on wet tile, with wet hands, blinded by a stench that would knock a buzzard of a gut wagon ( if certain people had just used the facilities after eating certain foods, Uncle Fred's chili ).
Thats funny. :D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

:D
Growler,
remeber Uncle Fred in now 80...the same conditions might apply to his bedroom..... :D

marinesgt0411

Hey look I can swing this grey door open and it makes a nice place to hang this wet wash cloth out to dry. No I have no idea what all those switches inside there control, it is way to confusing for me. What is a panel?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

What's wrong with standing in water to access a breaker?

update.jpg

Roger

ryan_618

What's wrong with this? It looks to me like they went above and beyond the NEC. I mean, the GFCI probably wasn't required, assuming this structure isn't accessory to a dwelling.

jimwalker

The rocks violate work space.Other than that it would pass.
If i had to pick between an outside panel in the dark and rain,snow or a panel in my bath i think the choice would be easy.Our first house had one in bathroom.Really never seen it as a problem.
Anyone know what the logic was behind the change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.