circuit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

static

where in the code book does it exclude me from using circuit breakers from other manufactures in a panelboard as long as they fit.

templdl

Re: circuit breakers

There are breaker manufacturers who get specific breakers which they manufacture "classified" by having them tested and approved by UL to be used in a competitors panel which then makes them allowed. For example, I know that C-H has a classified breaker for installation is a SqD panel.
The warranty may be lost from SqD but C-H as I am to understand it will warrant it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

The problem with this is that when the inspector red tags you for using a different mfr's breaker (whether he knows it's listed or not), the onus is on you to show that the breaker is listed and approved for the panel you installed it in. A few $$$ more and the right breaker saves you all the trouble and a return trip to the job.

luke warmwater

CH even has a listed "classified" replacement for a GE AFCI breaker, as well as one for Sq.D QO and Homeline versions, and one for siemens also.

gschuman

I have learned to read the panel labels for what the maanufacturer allows. I install some different types of control panels that have the load center built in and the labels specify which breakers can be used. Sometimes the load center is Siemens, but the control manufacturer has the assembly listed with different breakers.

In my area, there is only one inspector that I know of that regularly checks for this.

- Greg

iwire

Staff member

Only once and it was not the electrical inspector it was the jobs safety officer.

I had used a Challenger panel for some temp panel and the breakers did not match.

luke warmwater

Never, I don't do it.
But it is allowed.

I know of one local tract home EC that was using GE or Siemens panels and Cutler Hammer BR breakers. Not the listed 'classified' breakers, either.

They were not failing inspections.

I believe the practice stopped.
I'll look into it again.

templdl

I guess the difference is that the term "that it fits in the panel" may be misleading in that it may appear to fit in the panel nicely but should one conclude that the breaker will attached to the bus of the load center adequately. It may convenient to do in order to solve a problem when there is no risk of being red tagged. But what assurance does one have that the breaker may overheat and possibly damage the bus because it has not been designed for that application. It would be a bit presumptuous to take the panel manufacturers breaker and compare it side by side with the unlisted breaker and conclude that it will work in the application.
It may be a question of just being ethical, the odds that it will fail, and the risk of being caught with a code violation. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.