Circuit Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Conductors connecting receptacle and switch circuits to lighting and power home-run
boxes in finished areas may be multi-wire, steel jacketed, type ?AC?(hospital grade only)
or ?MC? cable, consisting of one (1), two (2) or three (3) No. 12 AWG copper ?THW?,
?THHN? or ?THHN/THWN? insulated phase conductors, each with dedicated insulated
neutral conductor (no multi-wire shared neutrals allowed) and one (1) full sized (No. 12
AWG minimum) insulated ground conductor

Do you read that as a dedicated neutral and ground for each circuit? I only have 6 circuits on this job but I was curious.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Conductors connecting receptacle and switch circuits to lighting and power home-run
boxes in finished areas may be multi-wire, steel jacketed, type ?AC?(hospital grade only)
or ?MC? cable, consisting of one (1), two (2) or three (3) No. 12 AWG copper ?THW?,
?THHN? or ?THHN/THWN? insulated phase conductors, each with dedicated insulated
neutral conductor (no multi-wire shared neutrals allowed) and one (1) full sized (No. 12
AWG minimum) insulated ground conductor

Do you read that as a dedicated neutral and ground for each circuit? I only have 6 circuits on this job but I was curious.

I read that as a dedicated neutral for each circuit, and on ground conductor for the cable, not a dedicated ground for each circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I assume that you've posted this information from a spec. No according to the code you don't need a separate neutral and EGC but sounds like that's what they're paying for.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I assume that you've posted this information from a spec. No according to the code you don't need a separate neutral and EGC but sounds like that's what they're paying for.

Thanks infinity. Didn't something just change in the 11 code regarding neutral conductors and branch circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.