Circuit Design: Pool Equipment

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

learning101

Always learning
Occupation
Electrician
I've researched for hours how to design this circuit but I certainly need help.

BACKSTORY
Residential community has a community center with three separate bodies of water---main pool, wading pool, and spa. Sub-panel service is 120/240v. Equipment, for reference, are (4) separate pump motors with (1) emergency shut off switch. Motors identified below:

Main Pool Filter Motor - 2.0 HP, 208-230v, 60Hz 1PH kW, 11.0-10.2 MaxAmps (30A/2P breaker)
Wading Pool Filter Motor - 1.5 HP, 208-230V, 60Hz 1PH kW, 9.6-8.8 MaxAmps (20A/2P breaker)
Spa Filter Motor - 2.0 HP, 208-230v, 60Hz 1PH kW, 11.0-10.2 MaxAmps (20A/2P breaker)
Spa Booster Motor - 3.0 HP, 208-230V, 60Hz 1PH, 14.6-12.7 MaxAmps (20A/2P breaker)

Disconnects for each motor are DPST switches.

Exterior mounted emergency stop switch (DPST) shuts off the main pool motor but not other motors. From my understanding, I'm not a pool guy, it's one emergency stop per body of water, at a minimum; in this case, there's only one e-stop switch.

SCOPE
Community manager would like to have all (4) motors/pumps shut down if the emergency switch is engaged so they don't have to install separate switches for each body of water. They want to remove the e-stop switch and replace it with a push/pull button. And to be with code, an audible alarm is to be installed.

PROPOSED SOLUTION
Install (1) contactor with an integrated relay for each motor that would be triggered by the e-stop button and open the contacts to an audible alarm.

The proposed solution is one that I came up with and I think would solve the problem. But I cannot figure out the controlling portion. I know the coil has to get energized for the contacts to pull in. I can get that done by wiring one set of contacts on the relay NC but then I second-guess myself.

For those whom are much smarter than myself, can someone help me out? Give some guidance on how to complete the wiring?

Below is a link to a dropbox folder. In the folder, the two PDFs are what I started with the circuit design.

Circuit Design & Photos

Barney B

Occupation
Electrical Instructor/Trainer
Recommended solution: run a new 120v control circuit to your EPO push button and use relays with 120v coils. Take the switch leg from your EPO to A1 and the 120v neutral to A2 on each relay.
As you have the system drawn, the circuit breaker tapped for control voltage would kill all loads when opened.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Does your alarm need to sound until reset or turn off when the pushbutton is restore ?

side note: bigger concern for me would be where is the pump GFCI protection ?

learning101

Always learning
Occupation
Electrician
Does your alarm need to sound until reset or turn off when the pushbutton is restore ?

side note: bigger concern for me would be where is the pump GFCI protection ?
Thank you so much for the response!

Ahhh...good point! I did not see any GFCI protection on any of the pumps (I didn't even think of that!)---all breakers on non-GFCI. And yes, the alarm needs to sound until the emergency button is restored [pulled-out].

learning101

Always learning
Occupation
Electrician
Recommended solution: run a new 120v control circuit to your EPO push button and use relays with 120v coils. Take the switch leg from your EPO to A1 and the 120v neutral to A2 on each relay.
As you have the system drawn, the circuit breaker tapped for control voltage would kill all loads when opened.
Ohhh...this is a good solution!!

I will have draw this out and repost to ensure I understand your design solution correctly.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Got it! That would mean all the 2 pole breakers will need to be changed out to GFCI breaker to be up to code and because all pumps are hardwired, is that correct?
Correct.
If room allows, my solution would be to install a new added subpanel with GFCI breakers fort he pump and supply that panel with a shunt trip main. Puah button supplied from original panel. Push button, alarm sounds , breaker trips, all pumps stop.

learning101

Always learning
Occupation
Electrician
Correct.
If room allows, my solution would be to install a new added subpanel with GFCI breakers fort he pump and supply that panel with a shunt trip main. Puah button supplied from original panel. Push button, alarm sounds , breaker trips, all pumps stop.
This is absolutely phenomenal advice! I don't know how you and others on this forum come up with these solutions, but I'm very thankful of the help and guidance!!

learning101

Always learning
Occupation
Electrician
Ohhh...this is a good solution!!

I will have draw this out and repost to ensure I understand your design solution correctly.
I've drawn out the design of how you suggested---well, at least I think I did.

Would you mind taking a look at it to see if I've got this correct? If not, please let me know what I need to correct.

-Jake

Attachments

• Pool Equipment Electrical Control Design.pdf
    546.4 KB · Views: 15

learning101

Always learning
Occupation
Electrician
Does this look correct?

EPO Push Button

EPO button pulled out (closed): Pool pumps run and alarm does not sound.
EPO button pushed in (open): Pool pumps shut off and alarm sounds.

My question is: The relays controlling the pool pumps, those would have to be NC contacts, not NO, correct?

-Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.