Circuit Neutrals on Eqpt Ground Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewdbis

Today I inspected a home with a service panel that has several neutral wires from various circuits terminating on the equipment grounding bar which is directly bonded to the panel enclosure. The floating neutral bar has several open spots for wires that are unused. I'm thinking this is a violation of 200.2 (B) but I wanted to get another opinion. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2020-4-12-66.jpg
    2020-4-12-66.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 50

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You're correct. Only GECs should be connected through the enclosure metal. All neutrals should be on the neutral bus.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
If this panel is not a subpanel then the neutral conductor really should be connected to that large lug at the top of the bar or the neutrals moved to neutral bar presumably on the opposite side of the panel.

lb9452

If the panel contains the service disconnect, neutrals are allowed to be landed with grounding conductors. As a matter of fact, the neutral bar is required to be bonded (connected) to the panel. This works to put everything at zero potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andrewdbis

If the panel contains the service disconnect, neutrals are allowed to be landed with grounding conductors. As a matter of fact, the neutral bar is required to be bonded (connected) to the panel. This works to put everything at zero potential.

The neutral bar is bonded to the panel. This isn't the neutral bar.

lb9452

You’re correct. They are identical, so it makes no practical difference. There are tens of thousands of homes done with romex where the neutrals and grounds are landed together because there weren’t enough places to separate them. Safe. No violation.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You’re correct. They are identical, so it makes no practical difference. There are tens of thousands of homes done with romex where the neutrals and grounds are landed together because there weren’t enough places to separate them. Safe. No violation.

Do you have a code reference for this being allowed?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What about the code section from the OP 200.2(B)?

200.2(B) Continuity. The continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on a connection to a metallic enclosure, raceway,
or cable armor

lb9452

Well then the thousands of residential panel terminations would no longer be allowed, but would be “grandfathered “

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

In a panel that is also the service bonding point the neutral bar must have the neutrals landed on this neutral bar. Optionally the EGCs can also be connected to this neutral bar. If there is an optional EG bar installed it can NOT have any neutrals landed on it.

lb9452

Sounds like best practice to me. The code didn’t always make sense. Put your basement freezer on GFCI. Run a feeder to an out building, and bond the neutral when you get there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In a panel that is also the service bonding point the neutral bar must have the neutrals landed on this neutral bar. Optionally the EGCs can also be connected to this neutral bar. If there is an optional EG bar installed it can NOT have any neutrals landed on it.
I agree, what's shown in the photo was never code compliant.

lb9452

I agree, what's shown in the photo was never code compliant.

If you need the space, you could run a neutral matching the largest neutral on the ground bar to the neutral bar, giving you a copper conductor from ground bar to neutral bar. This should satisfy anyone but the inspector who only knows how to read the book

Status
Not open for further replies.