Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok a few questions..:?

1. When can conduit be used as a ground for branch circuits? I know code says you can use conduit for a ground. And do you ever need a separate ground if it does not specifically call for it?
2. You can use a common nuetral per (3) phases for branch circuits??
3.If you have a 120/208 panel how do you know which circuits utilize 208v? Would it be 2 & 3pole circuits:ashamed1:

As always THANKS

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

1. When can conduit be used as a ground for branch circuits? I know code says you can use conduit for a ground. And do you ever need a separate ground if it does not specifically call for it?
2. You can use a common nuetral per (3) phases for branch circuits??
3.If you have a 120/208 panel how do you know which circuits utilize 208v? Would it be 2 & 3pole circuits:ashamed1:

As always THANKS

What kind of conduit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Answers in red.

1. When can conduit be used as a ground for branch circuits? I know code says you can use conduit for a ground. And do you ever need a separate ground if it does not specifically call for it? {250.118}
2. You can use a common nuetral per (3) phases for branch circuits?? {yes}
3.If you have a 120/208 panel how do you know which circuits utilize 208v? Would it be 2 & 3pole circuits:ashamed1: {yes}

As always THANKS

haskindm

1. Metal conduit may be used as an equipment ground unless it is specifically prohibited, such as for a swimming pool or marina where it says the grounding conductor must be insulated copper.

2. This is called a multiwire branch circuit and there are some restrictions, but they are quite common. See multiwire branch circuit in the index.

3. 120-volt loads would be phase to neutral connections. 208-volt loads would be phase to phase connections, so 120-volt loads would be on a single-pole breaker and 208-volt loads would be on a 2 or 3 pole breaker.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
1. Metal conduit may be used as an equipment ground unless it is specifically prohibited, such as for a swimming pool or marina where it says the grounding conductor must be insulated copper.

2. This is called a multiwire branch circuit and there are some restrictions, but they are quite common. See multiwire branch circuit in the index.

3. 120-volt loads would be phase to neutral connections. 208-volt loads would be phase to phase connections, so 120-volt loads would be on a single-pole breaker and 208-volt loads would be on a 2 or 3 pole breaker.

Thanks!!! So, say you were pulling (3) 120v 20A circuits in EMT or RGS it would be (3) hots and (1) Nuetral? If it were (3) 208v 2 pole circuits it would be (6) hots and (1) nuetral??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks!!! So, say you were pulling (3) 120v 20A circuits in EMT or RGS it would be (3) hots and (1) Nuetral? If it were (3) 208v 2 pole circuits it would be (6) hots and (1) nuetral??

No, 3-120/208 volt, 2 pole circuits would require 3 neutrals.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Horsegoer, is there any chance that you could spend some time in the field, on the job,

work with the guys ? Some hands on experience would go a long ways. My .02 cents

I agree and wish. It would have to be on the weekends and I put an ad once on Craigslsit but got no bites.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Horsegoer. If you have a single phase panel then the most you can do is have one neutral with 2 hots- one on each phase. If you have a 3 phase panel you may have up to 3 hot and one neutral-- you could have 2 hots and one neutral also. So yes if you had 4 -120V cir. you could have 2 neutrals each grouped with 2 hot conductors or you can have 2 neutrals- one neutral with 3 hots and the other neutral with one hot conductor.

maghazadeh

Horsegoer, is there any chance that you could spend some time in the field, on the job,
work with the guys ? Some hands on experience would go a long ways. My .02 cents

Originally Posted by horsegoer
I agree and wish. It would have to be on the weekends and I put an ad once on Craigslsit but got no bites.

Horsegoer, Come to CA. I will send you to jobsites for some hands on experince.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Horsegoer, you should take him up on this!! Really!!

I bet even a little hands on time would answer so many of your questions you'd kick yourself for not doing it sooner!! Well worth the airplane ticket!! Time to schedule some vacation...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Wow Mag I just saw Cambell location in CA.... Wow... Nice location :jawdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.