City final inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddecoopman

HELP - I am an in-ground pool builder and have recently had a "final" electrical inspection of a project. The city electrical inspector failed us based on Article 230 of the NEC, stating that we must provide load calculation for the single family residence as required by this section of the NEC.

Is this true? Suggestions on how to comply?

Thanks for the direction.

Dan

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: City final inspection

If it is new construction, the pool circuits should have been included in the original calculations.

If not, than he may have you.

hey_poolboy

If there is a need for inspection, then I assume there was a permit pulled. If the permit was pulled did it include only construcion of the pool or the electrical also? In my area we must pull a seperate permit for the electric, and in order to do be approved we must provide the load calcs,etc.

If in fact the electric permit was pulled you should have been asked for the load calcs.

Mike

sandsnow

While the inspector is correct that the new load needs vs. existing serice capacity needs to be addressed; it was very bad form to wait until the end of the project to let you know.

mdshunk

I can't really see a pool pump putting someone over the edge on their service size, but I suppose it's possible. If they have an electric pool heater with this new pool, that's a whole different story. I agree that it absolutely sucks to have them spring this demand load calc requirement on you at the very end.

[ June 29, 2005, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

physis

I agree with Larry. Bad form for sure. And that's if it's even really needed. Cause it probably isn't.

But a load calculation really isn't that big of a deal if you've done it a few times. Although it'll probably take half a day for an existing building.

:(

jimwalker

Something does not add up here.You say your a pool builder but you listed yourself as a property inspector.Who pulled the electrical permit ? Most places would require a master to do this.Or if by chance your one of them pool builders that rents a license then maybe the inspector isn't happy about this arrangement and is making it tough.You left out details like size of service and sq feet of home.If this is a 100 amp service it just might not make it.Now if it's a typical 2,000 ft home with 200 amp service then i don't see them even questioning it.

sandsnow

Originally posted by jimwalker:
If this is a 100 amp service it just might not make it.Now if it's a typical 2,000 ft home with 200 amp service then i don't see them even questioning it.
Good point. I agree, an inspector with some experience should be able to "eyeball" this and see if a calc is warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.